- Publications & Insights
Christine Rodrigues is a partner in our Johannesburg office Banking and Finance department and a member of the Banking & Financial Services Regulatory practice.
Christine has worked with most insurers in the market, brokers and industry associations and has effectively implemented the Financial Advisory and Intermediary Services Act, 2002 programme at a privately owned insurance group and advised on related legal and compliance issues. Her experience includes liaising with the short-term ombudsman, advising and assisting with various applications with the insurance regulators as well as providing regulatory opinions to the insurance industry. Christine has a good relationship with the insurance regulators and her practical knowledge and understanding of the insurance industry ensures she provides strategic and commercially orientated advice.
Christine has B.Com and B.Com (Hons) degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand and an LLB from the University of South Africa (UNISA). Her B.Com (Hons) was awarded first class with majors in Insurance and Risk Management.
* Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Advised and assisted a global reinsurance company on its reinsurance licenses in South Africa.
- Advised and assisted the world’s specialist insurance market group in setting up its insurance operations in South Africa.
- Advised and assisted a global financial services group in obtaining its long-term insurance license in South Africa.
- Advised a corporate insurance companies on its shareholder agreements relating to its cell captive arrangements.
- Advised and assisted a long-term insurance company in relation to a transfer of a portion of its insurance business to a corporate insurance company in terms of the Long-term Insurance Act, 1998.
- Advised and assisted a South African insurance company, South African mobile communications company and a corporate insurance company with a transfer of a portfolio of insurance policies under the Short-term Insurance Act, 1998.
- Advised and assisted an American multinational investment bank and financial services company on an application for the approval of the transfer of shares in the insurers in the African Bank Group in relation to a rights offer.
- Advised and assisted an African based financial services group and South African insurance company with a transfer of portfolio of insurance policies in terms of the Short-term Insurance Act, 1998.
- Advised and assisted a South African Insurance Company on the distribution of travel insurance through intermediaries in South Africa and Africa.
- Advised and assisted many South African insurers on binder arrangements, outsourcing arrangements and agency/ intermediary arrangements.
- Advised on insurance regulation relating to the sale of a Swiss insurance company (and other insurance companies within the group in Southern Africa) to a financial holding company.
- Advised the joint liquidators relating insurance regulatory issues pertaining to a non-life insurance company’s liquidation.
- Advised a representative body of the non-life insurance industry on index-based insurance, including interaction with a South African Government department and members of a representative body of the non-life insurance industry
- Advises and attended to the license application for a life insurer, which is a fully Black owned South African and African financial services company.
- Advised various shareholders of a long-term insurance company.
- Advises the South African Underwriting Managers Association in relation to insurance law and underwriting managers.
- Advised a peer-to-peer insurance platform in South Africa on distribution in terms of insurance regulation.
- Advising on the use and regulation of crypto-currency in the financial services industry.
- Chambers and Partners rated Christine as ‘Up and Coming’ for Insurance for two consecutive years (2021-2022) and most recently in Band 3 in the same category in 2023.
- The Best Lawyers in South Africa 2022- Regulatory Practice
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: Grey-listing by the Financial Action Task Force
- Festive Merriment for Business Interruption Policyholders
- Recent judgement on COVID-19 insurance claims brings to mind TCF principles
- COVID-19: FSCA’s latest stance on Business Interruption insurance cover
- COVID-19: Financial Conduct Authority – business interruption test case
- COVID-19: FSCA stance on Business Interruption insurance cover
- COVID-19: High Court decision on business interruption insurance claim
- Joint Standard 1 of 2020: Fitness, Propriety and other matters related to Significant Owners, South Africa
- Insurers globally walk a tightrope as pandemic claims break records
- COVID-19: Regulatory response to business interruption insurance
- COVID-19: Exemptions for short-term insurers providing premium relief, South Africa
- Exemption of insurers that offer investment policies to medical schemes, South Africa
- COVID-19: Exemptions for insurers providing premium relief
- COVID-19: Funeral policy premium collection in South Africa
- COVID-19: Amended Regulations – essential services expanded to include broader financial services and financial markets activity, South Africa
- COVID-19: FCSA’s expectations of regulated entities – South Africa
- Insurance industry faces COVID-19 crossroads
- COVID-19: Insurance services are considered essential in lockdown
- COVID-19: Impact on compliance with various regulatory deadline requirements in South Africa
- COVID-19 are you really insured?
- Insurers brace for fresh wave of regulatory reforms in 2021
- Lockdown so far brings out the best in SA insurers