Yusra ButtSenior Associate
- Publications & Insights
Yusra is a Senior Associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Corporate Commercial Department.
She has experience in advising on business set up for profit, not for profit and hybrid models, mergers and acquisitions, banking and finance, real estate, immigration and employment law matters. She has extensive experience of working with start ups and social enterprises. She has worked in the impact investing sector with a focus on delivering regulatory advice around environmental, social and governance issues (ESG).
Yusra is an advocate of the High Court of Kenya.
She has a LLB degree from the University of Reading, England. She has a masters degree in Development Studies from the School of Oriental and African Studies (SOAS), University of London. She completed the Legal Practitioners Course (LPC) with BPP Law School, London and has a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. She is a member of the Law Society of Kenya and an associate member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (CIArb – Kenya branch).
*Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Led a due diligence review of a local supermarket and drafted the transaction agreement documents.
- Assisted in the due diligence review of a confidential entity relating to a Series C investment of US$ 20,000,000.
- Assisted in the due diligence review of a local university.
- Assisted in the drafting of a shareholders agreement for an equity fund and its shares in a flower farm.
- Assisted in the drafting of a share purchase agreement for an equity fund’s investment in a local business.
- Provided an international client legal advice on Environmental, Social and Governance (ESG) issues.
- Drafted a family shareholders agreement to regulate the relationship and succession plan between various family members and their corporate entities.
- Drafted a board governance charter for a family-owned business.
- *Advised and prepared relevant documentation for various local and international investors on setting up and carrying on business in Kenya.
- *Supported the team in the drafting of an Investment Agreement and compiled the due diligence report relating to a KES. 500 million investment by a private equity fund in a local hospital in Kenya.
- *Part of the team that conducted a legal due diligence on a financial institution in respect of a corporate restructuring.
- *Part of the team that conducted a legal due diligence on a proposed listing for a clothing company.