Tobie’s pragmatic and straight-up advice makes him an exceptional business rescue, restructuring and insolvency specialist. He is commercially minded and able to provide practical and effective legal solutions to his clients in a dynamic way. His clients appreciate his ability to cut to the commercial issues.
With an impressive breath of expertise, he represents a range of business rescue practitioners, lenders and corporate clients.
Tobie’s experience covers a broad range of industry sectors, which include energy, mining and commodities, retail, real estate, telecommunications and agriculture.
Recently Tobie has:
- Advised clients on continency planning, risk management and viability assessments.
- Advised boards of directors on personal liability when facing financial distress and provided strategic advice to ensure that the directors do not fall foul of their statutory obligations.
- Represented business rescue practitioners and/or creditors in large and noteworthy business rescues.
- Advised potential investors on the acquisition of distressed assets through a business rescue process.
- Advised liquidators in insolvency due diligence and enquiries.
- Airlink (Pty) Ltd, being a major creditor in the market defining ZAR 70 billion business rescue of South African Airways SOC Ltd.
- The Industrial Development Corporation of South Africa in the restructuring of Kalagadi Manganese (Pty) Ltd.
- The business recue practitioners of Rebosis Property Fund Ltd, being a REIT listed on the JSE, in relation to one of the largest and noteworthy business rescues in the market. The value of the business rescue (total liabilities) amounts to ZAR 13 billion.
- DRA Global in the business rescue proceedings of Group 5 Ltd. DRA has a large contingent claim against Group 5.
- The Post Office Retirement Fund, as major creditor, in the business rescue proceedings of the South African Post Office SOC Ltd.
- The business rescue practitioner of Mango SOC Ltd. Mango’s creditor claims are approximately ZAR 2.5 billion.
- A consortium of landlords in the business rescue proceedings of Edcon as well as advising Retailability (Pty) Ltd in their successful bid to acquire the ongoing business of Edgars from the business rescue practitioners of Edcon.
- The major senior lenders of Ascendis Health Ltd, a health and wellness company listed in the healthcare sector of the JSE on the implementation of a restructuring plan”.
- Absa, Standard Bank and Investec in various commercial recoveries, litigation and insolvency related matters.
* includes experience gained prior to joining Bowmans