- Publications & Insights
Tim Gordon-Grant is the senior litigation partner in our South African Litigation Practice.
He provides strategic advice in liability situations, predominantly in the fields of corporate, commercial, banking, auditing and accounting, insurance and insolvency law and acts for various large corporate clients on significant matters, many of which involve high-profile public hearings and arbitrations. He and his team conduct litigation and arbitration matters. He also acts as a commercial mediator.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand and is a CEDR qualified mediator.
- He has successfully run numerous court cases and arbitrations on behalf of major corporate clients of Bowmans.
- He has acted as mediator in a number of successful commercial mediations, more notably a settlement reached between Alexander Forbes and Price Forbes.
- He is currently the lead lawyer for litigation and arbitration matters valued, in aggregate, in excess of several ZAR billions.
- He led the team which drafted and finalised the settlement of ZAR 1.2 billion of all the Gautrain arbitration and litigation disputes.
- He is frequently called upon to advise boards of companies, including directors on conflicts and fiduciary duties.
- Chambers and Partners ranked Tim in Band 1 for Dispute Resolution for more than a decade up to 2022 and as a Senior Statesman in the same category in 2023.
- Best Lawyers recognised Tim as Lawyer of the Year for Litigation as well as Best Lawyer for Arbitration Mediation and Litigation in both 2015 and 2017.
- Legal 500 inducted Tim into their Hall of Fame for Dispute Resolution for three consecutive years (2021 to 2023) and a Leading Lawyer in 2017 for the same category.
“He’s a fantastic litigation attorney, an excellent guy and a very good strategic thinker and tactician. You feel very safe in his hands.”
“He is highly astute, professional, skilled and an excellent litigation attorney.”– Chambers and Partners, 2022
“Tim Gordon-Grant holds a stellar reputation for his practice in commercial litigation and arbitration. He handles the full gamut of corporate and commercial disputes, acting for a number of blue-chip domestic and international clients in the mining and financial services sectors. His practice extends to cross-border disputes and international arbitration, in which area he has experience acting for states as well as corporate clients.” – Chambers and Partners, 2021