- Publications & Insights
Sivuyise specialises in various aspects of competition law including mergers and behavioural matters and has experience across a broad range of business sectors and industries. He has assisted clients with cross-border mergers that require notification in South Africa and other African countries outside South Africa, including in Botswana, COMESA, Namibia, Kenya and Tanzania. Sivuyise has also done a Secondment in the competition law department in our Kenya office. He spent a period of six months in Bowmans Kenya and while in Kenya, he assisted international and domestic clients with various aspects of Kenyan competition law, including mergers and behavioural matters.
In the 2023 Legal 500, clients said the following about working with Sivuyise:
“The Bowmans team with which we worked closely (Tamara Dini, Xolani Nyali and Sivuyise Lutshiti) are fantastic, very user-friendly, and always willing to go above and beyond to assist. One of their many strengths is their ability to coordinate trans-African filing processes by leveraging their relationships with local firms. By providing a single point of contact into the African continent they remove a lot of the heavy lifting.”
“Sivuyise Lutshiti had a very strong command of the relevant antitrust filing processes and technically was very adept. He was always contactable and willing to assist.”
LLB, University of the Western Cape
Legal Practice Council
Jurisdictions worked in: COMESA, South Africa, Kenya and Tanzania
Sivuyise holds the following notable experience:
- Acting as local counsel to Slaughter and May in relation to the Allianz and Sanlam African joint venture.
- Assisting A.P. Møller Capital in its acquisition of Vector Logistics.
- Assisted on the African aspects in the acquisition of Vivo Energy by the Vitol group, on the instructions of Akin Gump.
- Acted as South African local counsel to Kirkland & Ellis in relation to Blackstone’s acquisition of VFS Global.
- Acted as local counsel to Clifford Chance in relation to CVC Capital Partners’ acquisition of Unilever’s tea business.
- Acted as local counsel to Kirkland & Ellis in relation to the transaction in terms of which the funds managed Vista Equity Partners Management, LLC and the funds and investment vehicles managed by Elliott Investment Management, L.P. will ultimately acquire indirect joint control of the combined businesses of Citrix Systems, Inc. and TIBCO Software, Inc.
- Assisted on the African aspects in the transaction involving SALIC’s acquisition of Olam Agri on the instructions of White & Case.
- Assisted on the African aspects of Saudi Aramco’s acquisition of VGP Holdings LLC on the instructions of White & Case.
- Acting for one of the respondents in the ongoing investigation by the South African Competition Commission of various insurance providers, following its dawn raid.
- Appearing before the South African Competition Tribunal for approval of large mergers.
- Acted for a consortium of private equity buyers on the Angola, Nigeria and Tanzania aspects of their take-private of Aggreko Plc.
- Acted as South African local counsel to Kirkland & Ellis in relation to SK Capital’s acquisition of the Clariant pigments business and the Heubach Group.
- Acted as South African local counsel to Arnold & Porter in relation to Thermo Fisher’s acquisition of PPD.
Publications & Insights
- The Law Reviews: The Merger Control Review: South African Chapter
- South African Competition Commission’s Proposed Guidelines on Penalties for Failure to Notify a Merger – Some Predictability, Some Uncertainty
- South Africa’s Proposed Guidelines on Penalties for Failure to Notify a Merger—Some Predictability, Some Uncertainty