- Publications & Insights
Richard Odongo is an Associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Intellectual Property and Technology Practice.
Richard has gained extensive experience in Corporate Commercial law; specifically advising on Intellectual Property law, Media and Entertainment law, Data Protection, Telecommunications, FinTech, Cybersecurity, Information Technology law, Artificial Intelligence (AI), betting and gaming, pharmaceuticals, IP due diligence and emerging technologies.
Richard holds an LLB degree from Strathmore University (Nairobi), and a Post-Graduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. Richard is also a member of the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (U.K.) (MCIArb); the Law Society of Kenya; and the Chartered Institute of Arbitrators (Kenya) Young Members’ Group.
*Experience gained prior to joining Bowmans.
- Advising Ericsson on license renewal with the Communication Authority of Kenya and compliance with local equity participation requirements.
- Advising Uber B.V. and Uber Kenya on various regulatory and compliance matters.
- Multi-jurisdictional advice to a leading American technology products company on an ongoing basis on the launch of various products and telecommunications infrastructure projects
- Advising a Pan-African e-commerce platform on privacy and data protection compliance obligations, including data disclosure obligations, and government access and information requests.
- Advising a European internet exchange point provider on telecommunications regulation in Kenya, setting the company up locally and obtaining an application service provider licence.
- Advising a global technology company on application of the Data Protection Act (No.24 of 2019) to international companies and registration with the Office of the Data Protection Commissioner.
- Advising a MVNO/MVNA service provider on regulation in the country and obtaining the relevant licence from the Communications Authority.
- Advising various telecommunications licensees on structuring options for compliance with local equity participation requirements.
- Advising an American aerospace and internet satellite company on telecommunications licensing and ancillary permits/licenses required to set up operations, as well as undertaking local company incorporation.
- Various multi-jurisdictional trademark registrations, trademark oppositions and patent registrations for companies such as ECKO UNLTD, KOKO Networks, Diageo, Alteco Limited (Super Glue) and Simba Mbili.
- Acting as local counsel to Antler, a global early-stage VC enabling and investing in exceptional entrepreneurs in the region. We provide legal counsel across commercial, technology, data protection and intellectual property matters.
- Advising UAP Old Mutual on data protection advice in respect of the roll-out of a proposed marketing services.
- Advising Google on general aspects of data protection and privacy in Kenyan law and on the state of legislation and regulation governing certain Google products.
- Assisted Safaricom with the drafting of a trial partnership agreement for the development of a platform leveraging on technology to create smart impactful insights to enable Small and Medium Enterprises (SMEs) to better understand and target their customers.
- Assisted Safaricom with the drafting and negotiating of a product collaboration agreement in respect of research and development of innovative tracking technology products.
- Acting for Helios Investment Partners, a leading Africa-focused private equity fund, in connection with its entry into a joint venture with Acorn Group Africa, a property development and project management firm, for the identification, acquisition, construction and development of real estate properties in Kenya, involving the unwinding of a pre-existing joint venture between British American Asset Management by Acorn and simultaneous entry into the joint venture with Helios.*
- Acting for Actus Education Holdings in connection with its acquisition of shares in the Riara Group of Schools.*
- Acting for a large British multinational chemicals company in connection with opposition proceedings instituted against a large British multinational car manufacturer, challenging the improper registration of an invalid trademark in Kenya and other key African jurisdictions.*
- Acting for Airbnb in connection with the provision of local law advice on transport, alcohol, food, business licensing and public land laws.*
- Acting for Malindi Solar Group, one of Kenya’s largest solar power project companies, in connection with obtaining tax and related exemptions on imported goods for construction of a solar power plant in Kenya.*
- Acting for Vodacom (South Africa) in connection with the provision of local telecommunications advice on the regulation of Point of Presence equipment and provision of internet services in Kenya.*
- Best Candidate – Module 1 Arbitration (2021) – Chartered Institute of Arbitrators, Kenya.
Publications & Insights
- East Africa: IP Quarterly Newsletter – Q3 2023
- Kenya: Cabinet Secretary Removes Local Equity Requirement for All ICT Sector Players with Immediate Effect
- Kenya: An overview of the increasing push for registration and regulation of patents in emerging technology
- Kenya: The accelerated evolution of Artificial Intelligence (AI) and the legal considerations around its use
- Kenya: NFTs – the ‘new’ wave of regulation of NFTs, crypto-assets and crypto-currency across the globe