- Publications & Insights
Patrick Kamanthe is an Associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Intellectual Property and Technology Practice.
Patrick has gained extensive experience in Corporate Commercial law; specifically advising on Intellectual Property law, Trademarks, Branding and Protection, Media and Advertising law, Data Protection, Telecommunications, FinTech, Cybersecurity, Information Technology law, Artificial Intelligence (AI), IP due diligence and emerging technologies.
Patrick holds an LLB Degree from the University of Nairobi, and a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. He is a member of the Law Society of Kenya.
- Advising J.P. Morgan on the use of digital signatures on human resource-related documents.
- Advising Google LLC. in various areas such as Payment Service Providers (PSP) licensing by Central Bank of Kenya, AI related advice as well as review of new amendment bill.
- Advised Uber on legality of use of Boda Boda in Kenya and the applicable legal framework.
- Part of the team that advised and negotiated a Hotel Management Agreement for Lux Marijani Zanzibar by the LUX franchise.
- Advised John Deere on Kenya’s data privacy obligations and adequacy framework for collecting and processing personal data.
- Advised NCBA Bank on adequacy framework for data privacy and cross-border transfer of personal data.
- Review of various franchise agreements for clients.
- Advice to an Indian client on anti-counterfeit law and parallel importation in Kenya.
- Assisting a client to register with the Communications Authority of Kenya to offer services under Satellite Landing Rights Authorisation framework.
- Reviewing and advising a large pension fund on a Data Processing Agreement with a multinational bank.
- Advising on a software assignment-related franchise agreement and defense against intended termination by an international franchisor.
- Assisted a client, HIAS Kenya, with registration with Office of the Data Protection Commissioner as a data controller.
- Advised various international clients on trademark license infringement and oppositions to trademark registration for protection of brands and possible commercialization.
- Together with other colleagues, I was involved in training Knight Frank on data privacy compliance and obligations.
- Undertook the registration of a new plant variety at KEPHIS and advised on Plant Breeder’s Rights.
- Undertook due diligence on data compliance aspects of Environmental, Social and Governance requirements and involvement.
- Reviewing of trademark license agreement for a multinational company.
- Drafting and serving demand letters for Kenchic Limited to stop infringement of its brand around Kenya.
- Advise to Kenya Airways PLC on various trademark related work.
- Advise to Centum Partners through its Two Rivers International Financial Center (Sez) Limited on various brand registrations and use.
- Assisting Jack Ma Foundation in registration of a brand in various African countries.
- Involvement in registration of several trademarks and brand related work.