- Publications & Insights
Olivia is a solutions-driven, commercial lawyer who gets the best results for her clients through her in-depth knowledge of market practice and the legal environment.
Olivia’s personable and confident demeanor enables her to build long-term relationships with her clients and to navigate complex negotiations with finesse.
Olivia is a well-rounded commercial technology, media and telecommunications (TMT) lawyer with extensive experience in various TMT-related transactions. Olivia has a particular interest in: the procurement of software and IT systems; IP ownership structures and IP commercialisation (with a focus on software and copyright); the technology implications of corporate M&A transactions; data centre contracts; and commercial contracts more generally (including distribution agreements, sponsorship agreements, advertising agreements, services agreements and NDAs).
- Bachelor of Sciences in Marine Biology and Environmental and Geographical Sciences (with distinction), University of Cape Town.
- Bachelor of Sciences Honours in Zoology (in the first class), University of Cape Town
- Bachelor of Laws (magna cum laude), University of Cape Town.
- Admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Olivia regularly advises clients in the consumer goods, financial services, mining and advertising industries.
Jurisdictions worked in: South Africa
Languages fluent in: English
Recently Olivia has advised:
- Old Mutual on the procurement of a variety of material information technology, telecommunications and converged solutions used in its business.
- Dis-Chem in relation to the implementation of a SAP GK point of sale system (POS) by GK Software Africa Proprietary Limited.
- Famous Brands in relation to its acquisition of various Point of Sale (POS) systems.
- SAB in relation to its distribution agreement with Red Bull South Africa in terms of which SAB distributes Red Bull’s products within certain channels in South Africa.
- Alexander Forbes in relation to its sponsorship of the AlexForbes Archangel yacht and crew for the Cape2Rio Race 2023.
- Wunderman Thompson in relation to various agreements with its South African customers.
- African Fashion International in relation to its e-commerce platform, Cape Town Fashion Week and Johannesburg Fashion Week.
- Old Mutual in relation to its sponsorship of Old Mutual Amazing Voices, a pan-African singing reality competition show.
- Capitec in relation to the mobile virtual network operator agreement with Cell C in relation to ‘Capitec Connect’.
- Vantage, a multinational provider of hyperscale data centre campuses, in relation to its entry into South Africa and the construction of a new hyperscale data centre campus in Waterfall, Johannesburg.
- MTN South Africa in relation to its international roaming, interconnect and fixed connectivity arrangements with MTN GlobalConnect.
- NTT Global Data Centers (previously e-Shelter) in relation to its agreement with its anchor tenant, Internet Solutions, in its data centre.
- Optasia in relation to its arrangements with various multinational mobile telecommunications companies.
- One Thousand and One Voices (Mauritius) Limited and CrossFin Technology Holdings Proprietary Limited on the technology aspects of the acquisition of Sybrin from EOH Mthombo Proprietary Limited. Sybrin is a provider of payments and other software solutions to the financial services, banking and insurance sectors and governments.
- Financial Investments SPC and Bachique 842 Proprietary Limited on the technology aspects of the acquisition of 4 information businesses from EOH Mthombo Proprietary Limited.
- Kwande Capital in relation to the technology aspects of the acquisition of the business of Nampak Glass.
- African Legal Awards: Part of the Bowmans’ team that won Technology, Media and Telecommunications Team of the Year in 2018 and 2019.