Njabulo Hlophe is a partner in the Corporate Department of our Johannesburg office and a member of our Mergers & Acquisitions Practice.
He focuses on private and public corporate mergers and acquisitions and he has advised on some significant transactions in the financial services, energy, car rental and aviation sectors.
Njabulo has experience practicing at leading U.S. Law Firm, Kirkland & Ellis LLP (New York).
He completed his LLB degree (cum laude) and Certificates in Advanced Company Law I and II, all with the University of the Witwatersrand.
Njabulo’s select experience includes advising:
- Allianz, one of the world’s leading insurers and asset managers with a century of history in Africa, in its joint venture with Sanlam, the largest non-banking financial services company in Africa. The deal sees Allianz and Sanlam combine their current and future operations across 29 African countries to create the largest Pan-African non-banking financial services entity on the continent, in a deal valued at ZAR33 billion.
- EDF Renewables South Africa, the local renewable energy arm of global utility Électricité de France, in forming a joint venture with Anglo American called Envusa Energy. Envusa Energy is to develop a regional renewable energy ecosystem across 10 African countries to meet Anglo American’s target of carbon neutral operations by 2040 and support the wider decarbonization of energy in the region.
- A consortium comprising Thesele Motors, Mortimer Motors and Hallmark Motors in relation to the acquisition of Bidvest Car Rental (now Bluu Car Rental) from The Bidvest Group.
- Comair (in business rescue at the time) in relation to an equity raise for an aggregate amount of ZAR500 million and the subsequent delisting of Comair from the Johannesburg Stock Exchange.
- The shareholders of Sorbet in relation to their disposal of the entire issued share capital of Sorbet to Long4Life in a transaction valued at ZAR116 million.
- Steinhoff International. and it’s subsidiary, Ainsley Holdings, in relation to the sell-down by Ainsley Holdings of its shareholding in Pepkor Holdings, for an aggregate amount of ZAR 7.3 billion.
- Glencore Energy UK in relation to its acquisition of 75% of the entire issued share capital of Chevron South Africa and 100% of the entire issued share capital of Chevron Botswana, in a transaction valued at USD973 million.
Njabulo attained the following accolades:
- African Legal Fellow, Cyrus R. Vance Centre, New York.
- Membership to the Golden Key International Honour Society.
- Awarded the Nadine Mann Memorial Prize in recognition of his significant contribution to the work of the Wits Law School Clinic.