- Publications & Insights
Neli Seng is a senior associate in our Dispute Resolution Department and a member of our Corporate Investigations Practice.
Neli is a specialised investigations, compliance, governance and regulatory lawyer. She specialises in anti-bribery and corruption compliance (ABAC) and Anti-money laundering matters involving the domestic and international corruption legislation, including but not limited to Financial Intelligence Centre Act, Proceeds of Crime Act, Public Finance Management Act, Criminal Procedure Act, Prevention and Combatting of Corrupt Activities Act (PRECCA), Municipal Finance Management Act, UK Bribery Act and the Foreign Corrupt Practices Act.
She was admitted as an Attorney in 2019 and she is also a member of the Association of Certified Fraud Examiners (ACFE).
- Neli is a member of the team which advises and assists the National Prosecution Authority in various cases including fraud, corruption and procurement irregularities by government officials;
- Neli has also been involved in the following:
- Investigations into procurement fraud in relation to a number of state entities on behalf of the National Treasury; and
- An investigation into allegations of fraud, employee misconduct and corruption on behalf of a big mining company based in Botswana; and
- Investigating a procurement fraud syndicate on behalf of a big mining company, her responsibilities included investigating, communicating with various stakeholders on behalf of the mine, advising on termination of implicated vendors, gathering information from various whistle-blowers including employees, community members, union members and vendors of the mine.
- Providing legal advice on the application of anti-bribery and anti-money laundering laws in South Africa including international best practice;
- Advising clients on aspects of fraud prevention, detection and enforcements;
- Conducting investigations into allegations of employee misconduct, fraud and corruption in the private and public sector, including procurement irregularities and advising on the dismissal of employees implicated in wrongdoing following and investigation and initiating disciplinary proceedings;
- Providing training to employees in relation to compliance with anti-corruption and anti-money laundering laws in South Africa; and
- Preparing and submitting criminal reports to the South Africa’s Directorate for Priority Crime Investigation (Hawks) in terms of section 34 of PRECCA.