- Publications & Insights
MohammedZameen Nazarali is an Associate in our Dar Es Salaam office working under the litigation and corporate departments. Mohammed has previous experience in commercial disputes, intellectual property, employment law and data protection.
Mohammed has a Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law School of Tanzania and an LLB (Hons) from Middlesex University.
- Assisted in conducting an internal investigation to substantiate accusations of an internal takeover for a large mining company. The investigation included questioning over 40 employees, both at their offices and at the mine site, over a course of 2 weeks.
- Represented NMB Bank Plc in Commercial Case No. 83 of 2018 in recovery proceedings against Quality Motors Limited & 6 others for a sum of TZS 25,090,117,083.64 and USD 17,697,729.54.
- Represented NMB Bank Plc in Commercial Case No. 84 of 2018 in recovery proceedings against Quality Automotive Mechanization Limited & 3 others for a sum of TZS 11,341,515,592.20.
- Represented JCDECAUX Tanzania Limited in proceedings against Imperial Media Agencies Limited for the payment of USD 906,017.30 arising from a breach of contract.
- Representing Godrej Consumer Products Limited in proceedings against Target International (T) Limited involving the tort of passing off.
- Representing Godrej Consumer Products Limited in appeal proceedings against HB Worldwide Limited and The Registrar of Trade and Service Marks arising from the expungement of a trademark from the trademark register.
- Represented Uber Tanzania Limited in proceedings arising from an alleged breach of contract involving an independent contractor.
- Representing North Mara Gold Mine in various disputes around Tanzania including disputes lodged before the Mining Commission.
- Representing SBC Tanzania Limited in proceedings involving the enforcement of an arbitral award to the tune of TZS 42,269,634.
- Acted on behalf of an airline provider in proceedings involving a claim for damages arising from an aeroplane accident. The matter was settled out of court.
- Represented Ophir Energy Plc in proceedings arising from an alleged where the value of the subject matter was USD 6,440,000,000.00 and the claim against our clients was in the amount of USD 322,000,000.00. The dispute involved the sale of gas fields.
- Represented Square Pharmaceuticals Limited in proceedings instituted by Hasafa Health Sciences Limited in proceedings arising from a breach of contract involving the distribution of drugs.
- Represented MMC Limited in proceedings against GRB Mining Services Limited arising from a breach of contract.
- Represented Millicom International Cellular SA in taxation proceedings against Golden Globe International Services Limited
- Conducting due diligence for Minara Tanzania Limited for their acquisition of Airtel Tanzania PLC’s telecommunication towers.
- Conducted due diligence for various multinational companies in relation to a proposed acquisition of companies in Tanzania
- Prepared advice on the gifting of shares, to Tanzanian nationals, in a company incorporated in the United Kingdom and its implications with the Foreign Exchange Regulations, 2022.
- Advised Zambia Seed Company on the law surrounding plant breeders’ rights and means to protect seed varieties.
- Assisting international and local companies with registration of various brands and intellectual property in Tanzania.
- Reviewed various employment contracts for multinationals involving the employment of foreign nationals.
- Prepared an advise on a project involving carbon credits and the reforestation of the Udzungwa mountains.
- Prepared an overview of the media laws and press freedom in Tanzania for Thomson Reuters Foundation, a non-profit that leverages the reach and reputation of Thomson Reuters to run free programmes that promote the highest standards in journalism and spread excellence in the practice of legal pro bono.
- Prepared an overview of the data protection regime in Tanzania for Citizens 4 Change, a social lab that seeks to understand and resolve the complex social challenge of violence against children.
- Prepared an overview of the Arbitration Act in Tanzania.
Publications & Insights
- Tanzania: Amendment to the Foreign Exchange Regulations
- Chambers and Partners: International Arbitration 2023 Guide – Tanzania chapter
- Tanzania: Finance Act 2023 – Highlights
- Tanzania: Noteworthy learnings from recent arbitral awards
- Tanzania: 2023/24 National Budget Highlights
- Tanzania: Finance Act 2022 – Highlights
- Tanzania: 2022/23 National Budget Highlights
- Tanzania: Finance Act 2021- Highlights
- Tanzania: Arbitration cannot be bypassed through liquidation (winding up)