- Publications & Insights
Matthew is a Senior Associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Projects, Energy and Infrastructure and Mergers & Acquisitions practice groups.
Matthew is recognised as a leading young lawyer and has extensive experience acting on a broad range of project, energy & infrastructure transactions, corporate & commercial transactions, and a strong background in banking & finance transactions across a range of sectors.
He has been involved in advising on a wide range of transactions including energy and infrastructure projects, corporate and finance transactions, public-private partnership transactions, syndicated lending’s, debt and equity capital markets transactions, project finance and regulatory compliance. He has acted for a variety of clients including multilateral institutions, international and local banks, development finance institutions and various local and international corporates.
He has a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) (Hons.) from the Catholic University of Eastern Africa, a Master’s in Business Administration (MBA) in Strategic Management from the United States International University – Africa and a Postgraduate Diploma in Law from the Kenya School of Law. He is an Advocate of the High Court of Kenya, a member of the Law Society of Kenya and the East African Law Society.
- Advised an independent power producer on its development and financing of a 50 MW wind power plant in Kenya.
- Advised an international financial institution and various State agencies and regulators on the formulation, implementation and structuring of a renewable energy auction policy in Kenya.
- Advised and represented a syndicate of international lenders in a secured project financing of a 40 MW solar power plant project.
- Advised a syndicate of international lenders in a multimillion dollar secured project financing of two 40 MW solar projects.
- Advised and represented a syndicate of international lenders in a multimillion dollar secured project financing of a 35 MW geothermal power project.
- Advised an independent power producer on its development and financing of a multimillion dollar secured 40 MW solar power project in Kenya.
- Advised and represented the Joint Lead Managers in the 2019 and 2018 multibillion dollar sovereign bond issues by the Kenyan Government.
- Advised and represented a development financial institution in its multimillion dollar cross-border financing of a Kenyan group company.
- Advised a leading international firm in its acquisition of a majority stake and entry into a Kenyan partnership over a series of transactions including restructuring of the partnership into a limited liability partnership.
- Advised an international investment fund in its multimillion dollar financing of a large Kenyan financial company.
- Advised an international development financial institution in its multimillion dollar financing of a large Kenyan manufacturing company.
- Advised a trade and development financial institution in its multimillion dollar sovereign financing transaction.
- Advised various clients in various commercial sectors in lending transactions, project finance transactions, capital markets transactions, PPPs, Mergers and Acquisitions and a broad range of corporate and commercial transactions and general corporate advisory.
- The African Legal Awards: 2021 Rising Star Award Finalist
- The African Legal Awards: Winner 2020 Private Practice Most Promising Newcomer Award.
- Law Society of Kenya – Nairobi Legal Awards: 2020 Young Lawyer of the Year 1st Runner Up Award
- The African Legal Awards: Finalist 2019 In-House and Private Practice Most Promising Newcomer Award
- Law Society of Kenya – Nairobi Legal Awards: 2019 Young Lawyer of the Year 1st Runner Up Award
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: The road to COP27 – Actions towards a greener future for Kenya
- Kenya: Sustainable Practices Towards a Circular Economy: Introduction of the Sustainable Waste Management Act, 2022
- Expansion of electricity access in Kenya: Proposed new regulations on mini-grids
- Kenya: The 2021-2030 least cost power development plan, introduction of the 2021 renewable energy auction policy and the 2021 FIT policy
- Bowmans and Simmons & Simmons collaborate on a Clean Energy tool