Mark is a partner in the Banking and Finance Department. He specialises in acquisition finance, preference share financings, debt restructurings and cross border work. Mark has also passed the Qualified Lawyers Transfer Scheme to become dual qualified as an English lawyer. Ranked in Global Chambers as a banking and finance lawyer: “Mark Kyle demonstrates particular strength advising on debt restructuring. He acted on behalf of the FirstRand Bank with respect to USD355 million mezzanine facility for the AfriSam Group. One observer highlighted that “he is brilliant with very complicated structures,” while another added: “He’s pragmatic, commercial and a pleasure to work with.”
Mark has BA and LLB degrees from the University of Stellenbosch.
*Prior to joining Bowmans
- Acted for noteholders in Land Bank restructure.*
- Acted for banks in AfriSam debt restructure.*
- Acted for mandated lead arrangers in Liquid Telecom global debt and capital markets fundraising.*
- Famous Brands acquisition of 100% of UK based GBK Restaurants Limited, for GBP 122 million.*
- ZAR 8,5 billion and GBP 75 million facilities for Brait Mauritius Limited.*
- Truworths Limited acquisition of 88.9 percent stake in UK based Office Retail Group, for USD 382 million.*
- Brait Mauritius Limited acquisition of UK based New Look UK for circa GBP 800 million.*
- Debt restructuring of South African JSE Securities Exchange listed group Ellies.*
- Term funding of Virgin Active (including its UK affiliate) for circa ZAR 4,85 billion.*
- Term facilities and trade working capital facilities for Pioneer Food Group for circa ZAR 3.5 billion.*
- Senior and mezzanine term loan acquisition financing for circa ZAR600 million for the acquisition of the Southey (SA) and Southey (Mauritius) group.*
- Term loan refinancing of circa ZAR3.9 billion relating to Primedia term debt.*
- USD 67.5 million Export Credit Insurance Corporation backed export credit facility relating to the Zimbabwean Beitbridge border post project.*
- USD 300 million funding of Harmony Gold Mining Company Limited which included funding for its capital expenditure in Papa New Guinea and Australia.*
- Ranked in Global Chambers as a banking and finance lawyer. Mark Kyle demonstrates particular strength advising on debt restructuring.
- Ranked in IFLR.
- Recognised in Best Lawyers.
‘… he is brilliant with very complicated structures…’
‘He’s pragmatic, commercial and a pleasure to work with.’
– Global Chambers
‘Mark Kyle deploys his hands-on banking experience in combination with deep technical know how to deliver technically sound, commercially appropriate advice in a professional manner. ‘ – Legal500