- Publications & Insights
Luway’s primary focus is conducting investigations for corporate clients and public entities into a wide range of whistleblowing or similar complaints, including allegations of fraud, corruption, irregular procurement practices, sexual harassment, racism, workplace assault and employee dereliction of duties and gross negligence.
When leading an investigation, he reports to the client as appropriate and advises on risk management and consequential steps, which could, for example, entail employment disciplinary consequences, civil recovery, mandatory reporting and related criminal proceedings.
Apart from his extensive experience in investigations, Luway has a strong track record as an appearance lawyer in employment courts and similar tribunals. He has worked on a number of matters leading to dismissals that have been sustained through to the Labour Court.
With his background in economics as well as the law, Luway understands financial documentation and has effective interviewing skills. This expertise, together with the multidisciplinary character of the investigating teams he leads, comprising employment lawyers, forensic accountants and litigators, can considerably reduce the amount of time between commencing an investigation and initiating consequential steps.
- University of Cape Town, BCom (Economics and Law)
- University of Cape Town, Bachelor of Laws (LLB)
- Admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa
- Member of the South African Society for Labour Law (SASLAW)
- Investigation into serious allegations of fraud and irregular conduct by a senior executive in a public entity. Prior to Luway’s involvement, state bodies had carried out an investigation into the employee for more than 5five years. Luway oversaw an investigation which resulted in report, disciplinary steps against the executive concerned, and defending ensuing tribunal proceedings, all completed in less than a year.
- Investigation in the culture of a global corporate client with a specific focus on allegations of racism and discrimination in the workplace.
- Advised various clients, including national sports governing bodies and public entities, in high-profile matters in the media and successfully representing clients in related court or tribunal litigation, including necessary appearance and advocacy work as appropriate.
- Conducted cross border investigations into allegations against executives and employees of a corporate client in various jurisdictions outside South Africa, engaging and managing local counsel where required.
- Advised and assisted global healthcare and pharmaceutical client on internal restructuring mandate.
- Conducted court litigation for a range of clients, from JSE-listed companies to various government and state-owned companies.
- Successfully advised and assisted pro bono clients in the Constitutional Court in relation to serious allegations of racism in matters that have been reported in the media.