- Publications & Insights
Lize-Meré Ludick is a partner in the Dispute Resolution Department of our Johannesburg office, and a member of the Construction Litigation Practice.
Lize-Meré was admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 2011 and has been focusing on construction and engineering law since then. Lize-Meré joined Bowmans’ Dispute Resolution Department as an associate in the Construction department in May 2014 and became a Senior Associate in this team in March 2016.
She has an LLB from the North-West University where she was a member of the Golden Key Honour Society and is an Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Lize-Meré is also a qualified mediator.
Lize-Meré forms part of a team specialising in Construction and Engineering disputes and has represented some of the major role players in the mining, construction, engineering and infrastructure industries. She specialises in representing employers, contractors, sub-contractors and professionals, both in the public and private sectors, in disputes arising mainly from standard form construction contracts such as NEC, FIDIC, GCC and JBCC as well as bespoke construction contracts for large construction projects. She also has experience in representing homeowners and homebuilders in smaller scale building disputes.
Lize-Meré has experience in professional liability, product liability and other insurance related disputes and has acted for numerous insurers in this regard. She has further gained experience in contracts management and administrative-, public- and regulatory law matters.
She acted for numerous major role players including the following:
- Advised Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd in defending numerous claims made by a contractor under an NEC3 contract on the Ingula Pumped Storage Scheme power project.
- Advised Eskom Holdings SOC Ltd under the FIDIC Yellow Book in defending numerous claims made by various contractors on the Medupi and Kusile Power Projects.
- Advised Sasol Chemical Industries Ltd in successfully defending a multi-million Rand claim by its contractor for alleged delay and disruption on the Fisher Tropsch Wax Expansion Project as contracted under the NEC3.
- Advised Airports Company of South Africa SOC Ltd in a claim against Stefanutti Stocks Civils (Pty) Ltd and VGI Consulting Inc relating to defective design / workmanship on a project for an additional bulk fuel storage facility at the O R Tambo Airport.
- Assisted Nestle (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd in successfully negotiating a settlement with its contractor in relation to a claim by the latter for alleged delay and disruption on construction of an Egron Building at the existing Nestle facility in Estcourt; the contract was based on the JBCC Principal Building Agreement.
- Assisted Mobile Telephone Networks (Pty) Ltd, Neotel (Pty) Ltd and Vodacom (Pty) Ltd in successfully negotiating a settlement with its contractor to a claim for an extension of time and additional compensation in relation to the installation of a National Long Distance Fibre Optic Network between Johannesburg and Durban.
- Assisting a leading mining company on its supply- and other agreements as well as various contractual disputes with suppliers and contractors from time to time.
- Assisted a large engineering services company in successfully calling for payment under an advance payment guarantee and performance guarantee based on the FIDIC Yellow Book; and in successfully defending an application by its contractor to interdict payments under these guarantees.
- Assisting a large engineering services company in defending extension of time and additional cost claims by a contractor in arbitration under the FIDIC Red Book related to works on the Gamsberg Zinc Concentrator Project.
- Assisted a large engineering services company in adjudication proceedings relating to claims for additional time and cost on a mining project.
- Assisted a large engineering services company in successfully claiming the issue of a Taking Over Certificate and return of Retention Monies under the FIDIC Yellow Book.
- Assisting a large engineering services company in adjudication of contractual disputes involving various Employer and Contractor claims under the FIDIC Yellow Book related to the Wemmershoek Waste Water Treatment Works in Franschhoek.
- Assisting an international company in advanced technologies for the metals and mining industries in an arbitration against its Employer for claims related to deeming provisions under NEC3.
- Assisting an international company on the FIDIC Green Book in recovering outstanding monies due for commissioning services on the Kpone Power Project in Ghana.
- Advising a leading agriculture and agri-processing business on numerous issues related to works on its new refinery facility in Mozambique performed by its contractor under the FIDIC Yellow Book.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: The risks of paying construction subcontractors directly
- South Africa: Possible changes in how courts approach interdict proceedings over construction performance guarantees
- COVID-19: The Impact of a prolonged lockdown under FIDIC contracts – be wary of 18 June 2020
- South Africa: Long-held legal position on construction performance bonds may not be cast in stone