- Publications & Insights
Khomotso Makapane is a partner in our Dispute Resolution department and a member of the Employment and Benefits practice.
He specialises in large employment law matters. His expertise covers business transfers, retrenchment (dismissals for operational requirements), misconduct cases, sexual harassment, unfair labour practices, change management, social media law and engagement and termination of executives. He also appears on behalf of clients at various forums including the Labour Court, High Court, Supreme Court of Appeal, Constitutional Court and Commission for Conciliation, Mediation and Arbitration (CCMA).
Khomotso periodically act as a Judge of the Labour Court, conducts seminars, presentations, training and workshops on various topics in his areas of expertise dealing with labour legislations. He also gives talks / takes part in discussion panels across the country on these topics. Khomotso has also been a guest on television and radio stations to talk about various topical employment law and related issues.
He has an LLB from the University of the Witwatersrand.
Khomotso recently advised on the following matters:
- Univen: High Court matter involving the VC and the Dean of students
- Colgate: restructuring of both its commercial and productions operations
- Nestle: strikes and reviews
- Barloworld: restructuring and collective labour law
- DBSA: restructuring and hearings
- Chambers and Partners ranked Khomotso as Up and Coming for his work in Employment (South Africa) in 2023.
‘Khomotso Makapane is a well-rounded lawyer with a nice practice.’ – Chambers and Partners, 2023
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: A step in the right direction for the fight against corruption in State institutions
- Collective effort and culture change can curb violent strikes
- Unpacking the New Agreement on Collective Bargaining and Strikes
- Multi-unionism is changing the landscape of industrial relations
- SABC must prove employees knew appointments were irregular