T: +254 20 289 9000 E: email@example.com
- Publications & Insights
Joyce Mbui is a partner at Coulson Harney LLP and a member of the Corporate Commercial department.
She specialises in financing, capital markets, insolvency, restructuring and corporate and commercial law.
Joyce is qualified as an English solicitor of England & Wales as well as an advocate of the High Court of Kenya. She has an LLB Hons from the University of Leicester, UK, an LPC (cum laude) from Nottingham Trent University, UK, and an MSc (cum laude) from the University of Reading, UK.
She is a member of the Law Society of Kenya and the Law Society of England and Wales.
- Advising an investor on its equity investment in a development finance institution.
- Providing restructuring advice to various small and medium enterprises.
- Deacons (East Africa) Plc on various options for business recovery including administration.
- Advising Inchcape Kenya Limited on the acquisition of the business and assets of RMA Motors (Kenya) Limited in respect of the jaguar land rover dealership in Kenya
- The Government of Kenya as local counsel in relation to its 2018 USD 2 billion sovereign bond.
- Kenya Airways PLC (KQ) on its balance sheet restructuring which included USD 750 million of sovereign guarantees from the Kenyan Government, US Exim Bank and 11 Kenyan commercial banks, aircraft finance syndicates and operating lessors.
- Kenya Airways PLC as borrower on its USD 175 million multipurpose credit facility with a syndicate of nine Kenyan banks through an LMA standard Kenyan law facility agreement, backed by a guarantee from the Government of Kenya.
- AkzoNobel Coatings NV on its USD 19 million working capital funding for a joint venture partner in Kenya and Uganda under an English law LMA-type facility agreement and local security package.
- Citibank, N.A., (London Branch), Rand Merchant Bank, a division of FirstRand Bank Limited (London branch), Standard Bank of South Africa Limited and Standard Chartered Bank (acting as lead arrangers) and Citibank Europe PLC, UK branch (acting as agent) in respect of a medium term loan facility for up to USD 800 million (subject to the exercise of a greenshoe option) to the Government of the Republic of Kenya acting through the national treasury as borrower. East African Breweries Limited listed on the Nairobi Securities Exchange Limited in connection with the issue and listing of unsecured medium term notes of up to KES 11 billion
- Advised UAP Holdings Limited (now UAP Old Mutual Group) in connection with the issue and listing of a KES 2 billion. Entailed advising on the bond issue, preparing the legal agreements and reviewing the information memorandum and pricing supplement.
- Real People Investment Holdings on the issue and listing of a KES 5 billion medium term note programme consisting of unsecured fixed rate and floating rate notes.
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: Official Receiver launches pilot e-filing site for applications under the Insolvency Act, 2015
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin December 2022
- Kenya: High Court Clarifies the Legal Position on Foreign Insolvency Proceedings in Kenya
- Africa Guide – Restructuring and Insolvency
- Kenya: More companies are going insolvent in Kenya, putting the spotlight on severance pay for employees
- Kenya: The Need for Change: The Transfer of Businesses Act and its Application in the Sale of Distressed Assets
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin June 2022
- Hospitality Series: Acquisition of Hotel Assets
- East Africa: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin November 2021
- Kenya: Restructuring distressed private equity portfolio companies – an overview
- Kenya: Key changes introduced by The Employment (Amendment) Act, 2021 and Business Laws (Amendment) (No.2) Act, 2021 (Signed Into Law on 30 March 2021)
- Kenya: The end of non-classification of restructured loans: What next for lenders and borrowers?
- Kenya: Restructuring Quarterly Bulletin
- More options open for Kenyan companies in financial distress
- The Kenyan real estate market and the introduction of Real Estate Investment Trusts
- The financial services sector experiences significant growth in Kenya