- Publications & Insights
John Paul is a senior associate in our Technology, Media & Telecommunications sector group based in Johannesburg.
John Paul’s focus is telecommunications regulatory advice. More broadly, he advises on broad-based Black economic empowerment (BBBEE) in the Information, Communication and Technology (ICT) and other sectors, data protection, access to information, lawful intercept, consumer protection, e‑commerce, the regulation of films, games and streaming services, encryption technology, and cybercrimes. Before joining Bowmans, John Paul was a full-time academic at various institutions including the University of the Witwatersrand, the University of Johannesburg and Strathmore University.
John Paul is a member of the Global Business and Human Rights Scholars Association (Leavey School of Business, Santa Clara University).
John Paul holds LLB (with Distinction), LLM in Public International Law and PhD (Corporate Criminal Liability in International law) degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Advising a large fibre network operator on B-BBEE requirements under telecommunications legislation applicable to the transfer of control of telecoms licenses.
- Advising a private equity fund in relation to the acquisition of subsidiaries of a telecommunications license.
- Advising a large e-commerce company on data protection and consumer protection requirements in relation to e-commerce; requirements and requirements applicable to encryption technology.
- Advising large vehicle manufacture in respect of the legal requirements applicable to its connect services including data protection, privacy cybersecurity, telecommunications, e-commerce and consumer protection.
- Advising a vehicle for hire company in relation to the data protection, consumer protection requirements and road traffic requirements applicable to the roll out of their e-hailing service in South Africa.
- Advising a large, multinational automotive manufacturer on compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act for in-vehicle connect services.
- Advising a global product development and digital platform engineering design agency on compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act in the collection and processing of personal information, including health data, through an online platform.
- Advising a multinational energy corporation on compliance with the Protection of Personal Information Act in processing employee and contractor data.
- Assisting various stakeholders in relation to establishing a contractual relationship to regulate the sharing of personal and special personal information for the purpose of administering claims by gold miners for compensation related to silicosis and tuberculosis from working in the gold mining industry.
- Advising a manufacturer of luxury sports cars in respect of compliance with South Africa’s data protection, telecommunications and surveillance laws for in-vehicle connect services, as well as proposing an alternative business model for their services.
- Drafting data-transfer agreements for a global manufacturer of plastic and rubber automotive parts.
- Advising a leading international company specialising in renewable energy systems on the legality of electronic signatures in South Africa and managing local counsel of 9 other African jurisdictions in this regard.
- Advising a software industrial company, which offers industry specific solutions to aerospace and automotive products and services in respect of applicable business marketing requirements.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: The Electronic Communications Draft Amendment Bill and the changes it proposes to introduce
- South Africa: The digital migration process – ‘final’ analogue switch-off date remains uncertain
- South Africa: An update on the recent activities of the Film and Publication Board
- South Africa: Spectrum Updates
- South Africa: Draft Treaty to regulate activities of transnational corporations may have far-reaching consequences
- South Africa: Films and publications amendment act comes into operation
- South Africa: Constitutional Court upholds declaration of invalidity of RICA
- Excessive pricing in South Africa in the age of COVID-19