- Publications & Insights
Javed Niamut is a partner in our Mauritius office.
Javed advises clients on corporate matters with a focus on M&A transactions, joint ventures, business structuring and reorganisations. He also advises on day-to-day company law and corporate reporting and governance matters.
In addition, Javed specialises in tax and employment law. He regularly advises corporate and financial institutions on the tax aspects of a wide range of transactions, including mergers, acquisitions, disposals, joint ventures, business structuring, lending transactions, equity and debt issuances and corporate reorganisations. On the employment side, he advises clients on employment contracts, staff policy handbooks, employee recruitment, transfers and termination, immigration and work permit and the implementation and structuring of employee share ownership schemes and option plans.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Javed spent 8 years in a leading law firm in Mauritius advising on corporate, tax and employment matters.
Javed read law at Oxford Brookes University and completed the Bar Vocational Course at the University of the West of England. He was called to the Bar of England & Wales in 2011 at the Honourable Society of the Middle Temple and is a member of the Bar Association in Mauritius since January 2013
*experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Advising a global financial services provider in the acquisition of a Mauritius based and licensed Management Company, providing fund administration services to institutional clients.
- Advising a German multinational financial services company in the acquisition of a controlling stake in a local insurance company.
- Acting for a financial institution in connection with the financing of an amount of USD 500 million in public sector projects in Mauritius.*
- Advising multinationals investing into and through Mauritius on the tax implications of mergers and acquisitions.
- Advising leading global financial services firms and banking institutions on the tax aspects of lending transactions.
- Advising multinationals operating into and through Mauritius on corporate and employment law matters.
- Advising one of the top ten largest pharmaceutical companies in the world on the restructuring of its workforce in Mauritius.*
Publications & Insights
- Mauritius: Supreme Court upholds the applications of arm’s length test on domestic companies and deemed interest on interest free loans
- Mauritius: Finance Act 2022 – Guide
- Mauritius: The MRA clarifies the tax treatment of distributions made by fiscally transparent entities
- Mauritius: Tax Alert – Update on CIGA requirement
- Mauritius: Portable retirement gratuity fund – mandatory contributions by employers as from January 2022
- Mauritius: Re-opening of borders and incentives to live, work and invest
- Mauritius: Tax residence and the impact of the Mauritius Revenue Authority statement of practice on trusts and foundations
- Mauritius: New tax treaty with Lesotho
- Mauritius: Global business companies licensed on or before 16 October 2017 should prepare for major changes this year
- Mauritius: The recently introduced Finance Act, 2020, brought numerous changes
- Negotiations of new double taxation avoidance agreement between Mauritius and Zambia
- COVID-19: A new legal dimension in Mauritius
- COVID-19: Extension of the Government Wage Assistance Scheme and Self-Employed Assistance Scheme, Mauritius (22 April 2020)