- Publications & Insights
Jason Barbe is an associate in our Mauritius office where he specialises in Banking, Finance, Corporate and Commercial law matters.
Jason advises international banks and financial institutions in their project financing in Mauritius and at international level. He is specialised in the drafting of security documents in connection with cross border financing. In addition to advising on financing aspects, Jason also assists and advises on private equity transactions, mergers & acquisition transactions and on related corporate and commercial law matters.
Prior to joining Bowmans Mauritius, Jason gained experience in the Africa Practice department of CMS Francis Lefebvre Avocats in Paris where he assisted clients in their project financing, mainly in francophone Africa. He has also worked for a Parisian boutique law firm specialised in mergers and acquisitions.
Jason holds a Master II in Law (LLM) from University of Paris XII and completed the Paris Bar Certificate at the Paris Bar School. Jason is a member of the Mauritius Bar and the Paris Bar.
- Acted as Mauritius legal counsel for a consortium of private banks (Investec Bank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank JHB Branch, Nedbank Limited, Standard Chartered Bank (Mauritius) Limited) in the provision of legal advice, drafting and reviewing of financing and security documents in respect of the restructuring and financing of the Tsebo group. Bowmans was awarded the Restructuring Team of the Year Award at the African Legal Awards, for our role in the Tsebo Restructure.
- Assisted and advised Apex Group Ltd, a global financial services provider, in respect of the acquisition of the entire shareholding of Gfin Corporate Services Ltd, a Mauritius based and licensed Management Company.
- Acted as Mauritius legal counsel for Adenia Partners Ltd in relation to the purchase of a Moroccan catering business in partnership with Proparco, France’s development finance institution.
- Acted for various international and Mauritian banks (e.g., The Mauritius Commercial Bank, Stanbic Bank Uganda Limited, SBM Bank (Mauritius) Ltd, FirstRand Bank Limited (acting through its Rand Merchant Bank division), Nedbank Limited) in the implementation of cross-border financing transactions.
- Assisted and advised a major African Bank in relation to a corporate restructuring transaction – OHADA law*.
- Assisted in the provision of legal advice to a major international institution on banking regulatory issues in Senegal – OHADA/ UEMOA Law*.
*experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
Publications & Insights
- Mauritius: Accession to the Patent Cooperation Treaty – A step forward for international patent protection
- IP East Africa Quarterly Newsletter – Q2 2023
- Mauritius: Budget Brief 2023/2024 – an overview of the salient measures
- Mauritius: Change of Key Repo Rate to Key Rate
- The accession of Mauritius to the Patent Cooperation Treaty: A step forward for international patent protection
- Mauritius: 20 years of The Companies Act – what’s next?
- Mauritius: Bowmans successfully advises a leading commercial bank in Mauritius on its LIBOR transition
- Mauritius: Capitalisation of interest – Practical insights
- Mauritius: Overview of the 2021-22 Budget – Recovery, Revival and Resilience
- Mauritius: New Free Trade Agreement positions the country as a middleman between Asia and Africa
- Mauritius: Regulatory strategy of the Financial Services Commission – a new approach