T: +27 11 669 9493 E: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Publications & Insights
James Westgate is a partner in the Corporate Department at Bowmans Johannesburg office.
He is experienced in a number of legal areas with a focus on corporate transactions, including private equity, cross-border mergers and acquisitions (M&A), due diligence, acquisition and structured finance and general corporate advice.
James spent six months abroad during a secondment to Maitland & Co in London.
His expertise has been recognised by various international research organisations including IFLR1000 (M&A).
James acted for:
- Convergence Partners in respect of the acquisition of a significant stake in FibreCo; restructuring of shareholding arrangements in VGG; subscription to shares in Snapt; investment into DarkFibre and Vumatel and; co-investment with Actis into a Mauritian SPV, the primary business of which is establishing a data centre and co-location facilities platform in Nigeria with a view to expanding throughout Africa.
- A portfolio company of Convergence Partners in respect of its acquisition of 100% of Vodacom Business Africa’s (VBA) operations in Nigeria, Zambia and Cote d’Ivoire.
- A portfolio company of NOSA Proprietary Limited in relation to their acquisition of (i) the testing division of Deltamune Proprietary Limited and Deltamune’s shares in Food Chain Laboratories Proprietary and Vetlab Zambia Limited; and (ii) SAI Global’s subsidiaries in South Africa.
- Standard Chartered Private Equity Mauritius III in respect of the Afrifresh restructure and disposal; acquisition of a strategic stake in Choppies; disposal of a 72% stake in KAMOSO Distribution, based in Botswana (this transaction was shortlisted by DealMakers in South Africa as Private Equity Deal of the Year 2018).
- South Suez Capital Limited in respect of the establishment of its South Suez Africa Fund II; its co-investment (with the Abraaj Group) in Fan Milk, Nigeria and its co-investment (with Actis) into a retail property development in Abuja.
- Ethos on its acquisition of a stake in Eaton Towers; disposal of its stake in Idwala and its acquisition of Brait’s stake in Primedia.
- Rockwood in its disposal of Tsebo.
- A consortium of investors, comprised of Astoria Investments and Benjamin Trisk in relation to their acquisition of the CNA business from Edcon Limited.
- Investec Africa Private Equity Fund 2, L.P. in relation to its acquisition of a controlling stake in the Richfield Group of companies.
- RMB Ventures Seven Proprietary Limited and BoE Private Equity Investments Proprietary Limited in relation to the sale of a portion of Ascendis Health Limited’s Biosciences Division. The transaction was two-fold in the form of a sale of businesses/assets and sale of shares, for different entities in the Biosciences Division.
- The founders of Cargo Compass Proprietary Limited in relation to the restructuring and part disposal of their beneficial interests in Cargo Compass to a consortium of investors comprised of RMB Ventures and Bopa Moruo.
- Inspired Evolution Investment Management (Pty) Ltd/ Evolution II (Mauritius) LP in its primary investment of USD 25 million and secondary investment of USD 15 million into d.light design Inc.
- A group of private equity purchasers in relation to the acquisition of Valeant Pharmaceuticals International Inc’s iNova Pharmaceuticals business in a transaction affecting Australia, South Africa and Asia and valued at USD 930 million.
- Old Mutual Life Assurance Company (South Africa) Limited (acting in respect of the portfolio of assets known as the IDEAS MANAGED FUND), African Infrastructure Investment Fund 3 GP Proprietary Limited and STOA S.A. in connection with the acquisition of a majority stake in Metro Fibre Network Limited.
- MetroFibre Network Proprietary Limited in relation to its acquisition of certain fibre to the home infrastructure assets from Linkafrica Proprietary Limited.
- A portfolio company of Convergence Partners in respect of its acquisition of 100% of Ctrack Africa’s operations.
IFLR1000’s Financial and Corporate Guide consistently recognised James as a Notable Practitioner for his work in Private Equity and M&A for the past three consecutive years (2019 to 2021).