- Publications & Insights
Jacqueline Tarimo is a senior associate in our Dar es Salaam office.
She specializes in corporate, finance, banking, telecommunications, competition and aviation law. Jacqueline is a member of the Tanganyika Law Society and the East Africa Law Society.
She has an LLB (Hons) from the University of Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania, and an LLM in International Commercial Law from the University of Kent, Canterbury, UK.
Jacqueline’s experience has covered:
- Advising the Abraaj Group (Abraaj Investment Management Limited, Cayman Islands) in relation to conducting a legal due diligence on the Tanzanian subsidiary company (Doya Distribution Ltd) of Abraaj and issued a legal opinion on the status of the local company. This was ahead of a proposed investment which involved creating a special purpose vehicle to acquire 49.99% of Agathon Holdings (also referred to as Pearl Group of Companies) and entering into a shareholders’ agreement with Trendview Holdings in order to regulate their respective rights and obligations as shareholders in Agathon Holdings/Pearl.
- Advising Zhonghong Holding Co. Ltd in relation to the Tanzanian aspects of its acquisition of 90.5% of the issued shares of Abercrombie & Kent Group of Companies SA. (Estimated deal value: USD 412 million).
- Tanzanian counsel to Carlyle Group in relation to its acquisition of a majority interest in AK Life Sciences, a manufacturer and seller of parenteral drugs and a distributor of pharmaceutical products, from Kiboko Holdings.
- Counsel to CDC Group Plc on instructions from Clifford Chance LLP, in relation to the USD 180 million equity investment in Liquid Telecom, which will enable Liquid Telecom to expand broadband connectivity to some of the most underserved markets across Africa and support the continent’s thriving tech start-up ecosystem. This is the CDC’s first direct investment in an African telecoms company in over twenty years, and its largest single investment since it acquired the pan-African power company, Globeleq in early 2015.
- Advising Rio Tinto Mining & Exploration Limited in relation to a proposed transaction with Strandline Resources Limited and its subsidiaries, Active Resources (T) Limited and Tanzanian Graphite (T) Limited.
- Advising Berger International Private Limited in respect of acquisition of Crouch Limited (Mauritius) specifically in relation to its Tanzania subsidiary – Insignia Limited.
- Advising Onomo Hotels on potential acquisition of Holiday Inn Hotel.
- Advising Hollard International Holdings in relation to its acquisition of MMI Holdings businesses in Tanzania (Metropolitan Insurance and Metropolitan Life Assurance).
- Providing legal advice and assisting in setting up of financial institutions such as the United Bank Ltd (UBL Bank Tanzania Ltd).
- Advising a number of financial institutions such as the Standard Chartered Bank, UK on the creation of charges, drafting requisite documents and perfecting securities.
- Advising mining companies such as the Continental Group and the Guardian Group on mineral rights.
- Advising and assisting investors in the incorporation of local companies and registering foreign branches in Tanzania.
- Preparing various corporate documents and assisting with the registration and filings of them with necessary government authorities.
- Obtaining necessary licences, permits and certificates for operating a business in Tanzania for entities such as Knauf Gypsum Tanzania Ltd and the Modern Times Group (MTG).
- Conducting legal due diligence on targeted entities and advising on potential legal risks and regulatory compliance with the law regulating mergers and acquisitions for entities like Knauf International GmbH, Viettel and American Tower Company.
- Advising on oil and gas investment projects for companies like Dodsal Group Companies, Ophir Energy plc, and Beach Energy (Pty) Ltd.
- Providing legal advice on capital markets and securities and in particular assisting companies such as Uchumi Supermarkets Kenya Ltd in cross-listing on the Dar Es Salaam Stock Exchange.
- Advising telecommunications companies such as Modern Times Group (MTG) and Orange Business Services on regulatory matters, operating and licensing requirements.
- Advising on insolvency and liquidation procedures to companies like Afsat Communications Tanzania Ltd.
- Advising and undertaking a competition audit for La Farge on its subsidiary company – the Mbeya Cement Company.
- Advising Cessna Finance Corporation/ Textron Aviation, SMBC Aviation Capital and ICBC Aviation Company Ltd on aircraft finance, leasing, sale and purchase transactions, and on registration and de-registration of aircrafts at the aircraft registry.
- Handling company secretarial matters and advising on various corporate and regulatory compliance issues for companies such as Modern Times Group (MTG), SEW Eurodrive Ltd, Beach Petroleum and Dodsal Group Companies.
- Advising Caterpillar Financial Services on the financing of a local mining company. This included preparing, registering and filing the necessary corporate documents with relevant government authorities for perfection.
- Advising Swedfund LLP on the sale and purchase of assets and carrying out a transfer of the assets.
- Advising BRAC International on transferring assets and employees to a newly established entity.