- Publications & Insights
Evarist Kameja is a senior associate in our Dar es Salaam office. Evarist specialises in oil and gas , environmental. corporate and commercial law (including intellectual property). As well as transactional advice, Evarist acts on court litigation and international commercial arbitration and advises on public international law as affects Tanzania.
Evarist has a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice (PGDLP) from the Law School of Tanzania, LLM (Oil and Gas Laws with Professional Skills) from the University of Aberdeen and an LLB Bachelor of Laws (Honours) from the University of Kent in the UK.
Evarist is a member of Young International Council for Commercial Arbitration and is also a member of the Tanganyika Law Society.
- Pupillage at the Tanzania Petroleum Development Corporation (TPDC), which is Tanzania’s National Oil Company (NOC); – providing legal advice on Tanzanian petroleum laws in practice and support on commercial structural considerations after the TPDC’s transition to the NOC and PURA was created to take-over as upstream regulator
- Part of the team that advised a multinational drink and breweries holdings company in its Tanzanian Fair Competition Commission filings 2016.
- Conducting legal due diligence on the acquisition of a Tanzanian telecommunications tower company.
- Part of the team providing company secretarial services to the Oil and Gas Association of Tanzania (OGAT), the petroleum industry trade group.
- Advising an international financial services company in respect of a USD 5 million Tanzanian law corporate guarantee to one of East and Central Africa’s fastest growing energy trading and transportation conglomerates.
- Part of the team advising a major multi-national mining company on various regulatory matters arising in Tanzania by virtue of recent changes to Tanzanian mining law.
- Advising a major household name financial, software, data, and media company concerning a Multilateral Trade Facility, FX interbank Matching System and other Tanzanian law issues.
- Part of the team that conducted legal due diligence on one of the largest insurance company in Tanzania.
- Part of the team that conducted due diligence on one of the largest insurance brokers in Tanzania.
- Advising numerous high-profile international investors on setting up companies and businesses in various industries in Tanzania; including in the manufacturing, financial services, construction, shipping and oil and gas industries, amongst others.
- Advising an independent Middle Eastern oil trading and shipping company on registering for the bulk procurement system for imports of petroleum products into Tanzania.
- Part of the Team advising a European embassy on corporate and ligation matters in Tanzania, including a dispute relating to a petroleum distribution company.
- Acting for the buyer of a five-star hotel and associated franchise rights, including due diligence.
- Advising a telecommunications company on offering VOIP services to an international oil company with upstream concessions in Tanzania.
- Advising a major global provider of outsourced services to banks and other financial institution in respect of provision of services to Tanzanian institutions.
- Advising numerous clients on intellectual property law (particularly trademarks and patents) both on contentious and non-contentious matters. Highlights include advising a major global conglomerate headquartered in India on suing a company for passing off in Tanzania.
* some experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
Publication and Insights
- World Bank Group (2017) ,“Enabling The Business of Agriculture 2017 “ World Bank Washington DC
- World Bank Group (2017), “ Doing Business 2018 : Protecting The Rights of Minority Investors (Tanzania)”, World Bank Washington DC
- World Bank Group (2018), “ Doing Business 2018 : Reforming to Create Jobs (Tanzania)”, World Bank Washington DC
- World Bank Group (2019), “ Doing Business 2018 : Training for Reform (Tanzania)”, World Bank Washington DC
- Article on Oil and Gas Tanzania: Regulatory regime in collaboration with Ashurst UK LLP.
Publications & Insights
- East Africa: IP Quarterly Newsletter – Q3 2023
- Tanzania: The Fintech Regulatory Sandbox Regulations 2023
- Tanzania: Noteworthy learnings from recent arbitral awards
- Tanzania: Civil Case No. 7 Of 2019 Ivanna Felix Teri (Plaintiff) Vs. Viettel Tanzania Plc. (Defendant) and Set Up Company Ltd. (3rd Party)
- East Africa: IP East Africa Quarterly Newsletter – Q3 2022
- Tanzania: Kiswahili the general rule and English the exception as languages of Tanzanian law and courts
- Tanzania: Arbitration cannot be bypassed through liquidation (winding up)
- Unpacking Tanzania’s new Arbitration Act and Regulations
- The Ban on Cryptocurrency in Tanzania
- Combating Counterfeiting Through Electronic Tax Stamps
- Microfinance regulations update