- Publications & Insights
Daryn Webb is a Partner in our Johannesburg office and a member of the Project Finance Practice.
He specialises in project and infrastructure as well as corporate, project and other finance. His experience has included general corporate and commercial law as well as mergers and acquisitions. Daryn has led teams that advised on the financing of various significant black economic empowerment equity transactions. Outside of South Africa, Daryn has advised on transactions in Botswana, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Tanzania, Zambia and Zimbabwe.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Advising the South African Department of Energy in relation to all its IPP Procurement Programmes.
- Financing of gas and power plant infrastructure in Mozambique for Matola Gas Company and Gigawatt Mozambique.
- Financing of the Gautrain Rapid Link Project and various other public private partnerships.
- Chambers and Partners ranked Daryn in Band 1 for Projects & Energy (South Africa) for five consecutive years (2017 to 2021) and in Band 4 for Projects & Energy (Africa-wide) for the past two years (2020 and 2021).
- IFLR1000’s Financial and Corporate Guide rated Daryn as a Highly Regarded Lawyer for Restructuring and Insolvency, Energy and Infrastructure, Project Development, Banking, Project Finance and M&A for four consecutive years (2018 to 2021) and rated him as a Leading Lawyer in 2015 and 2016.
- Legal500 consistently ranked Daryn as a Leading Individual in Projects and Infrastructure for the past three years (2019 to 2021) and prior to that, as a Recommended Lawyer (2017) and in Tier 1 (2015) for the same category.
- Daryn was recognised by Who’s Who Legal in its 2019 edition of Thought Leaders Global Elite for Government Contracts and Project Finance and in the 2018 edition for Government Contracts and Project Finance.
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Banking and Finance Law.
‘Daryn Webb is recognised as “part of the South African landscape” and is known to have done “good work in this space.” He has extensive experience handling infrastructure projects and is particularly skilled on the finance side. He is often involved in significant transactions, including as part of the Department of Energy’s independent power producer procurement programmes. – Chambers and Partners 2020
‘Leading projects and energy lawyer Daryn Webb is esteemed for his long-standing involvement in the sector and is widely recognised for advising the South African government on its renewables IPP procurement programme. He also advises concessionaires on PPPs and both sponsors and lenders on all aspects of industrial infrastructure developments. He has acted on power plant projects across Africa and is considered “an all-round top-tier lawyer.” – Chambers and Partners 2019
Head of the firm’s project finance practice Daryn Webb is a well-known figure for his work on power plant developments. He continues to act for the government of South Africa on its renewables IPP procurement programme, as well as the coal-baseload and co-generation programmes. He has further expertise in PPPs in multiple jurisdictions.
Sources describe the eminent Daryn Webb as “an absolute expert” and “the number-one go-to lawyer in the project finance space.” He is highly esteemed by peers for his involvement in government mandates regarding IPPP programmes and is noted for his renewables expertise, both in project finance and power plant development. – Chambers and Partners 2018
Daryn Webb is highlighted for his activity on power plant developments and for the quality of his project finance knowledge. He is described by one commentator as “the best in the business.” He is also well known for his work with public bodies.
Africa-wide: Project finance head Daryn Webb specialises in project and infrastructure matters. He has experience assisting the South African government with IPP procurement programmes. He is based in Johannesburg. – Chambers and Partners 2017
“Peers note that Daryn Webb “has been around a long time and is a very practical and reasonable lawyer.” His experience includes gas-fired and renewable energy power plants, and he is well known for his work with public bodies.” – Chambers and Partners 2016