- Publications & Insights
Cynthia Amutete is a senior associate in our Nairobi office and a member of the Banking and Finance department.
She specialises banking and finance transactions, financial services regulation including banking, insurance, capital markets, payment services, fintech and data protection.
She graduated with a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) degree from the University of Nairobi and has a Postgraduate Diploma from the Kenya School of Law. She is also a Certified Investment and Financial Analyst.
Banking and Finance
- HFC Limited in connection with the investment subordinated convertible loan extended by Britam Holdings PLC as lender for up to KES 1 billion pursuant to a Kenyan law governed loan agreement.
- Sunculture Kenya Limited with respect to USD 11,000,000 million facility from various lenders including Solar Energy Transformation Fund LLC, Nordic Development Fund, Social Alpha Investment Fund (SAIF) SICAV-SIF-Bastion, Alphajiri Investment Fund LP, Stichting Hivos-Triodos Fond and Facility For Energy Inclusion Off-Grid Energy Access Fund.
- The Company for Habitat and Housing in Africa with respect to restructuring of approximately USD 74,700,000 with various lenders including , Agence Francaise De Developpement, African Development Bank Group, Banque Ouest Africaine De Developpement , The European Investment Bank, Islamic Corporation for the Development of The Private Sector and KfW.
- Local counsel with respect to a refinancing transaction of approximately USD 1,900,000,000 pursuant to which the Borrower (an entity registered in the United Kingdom) entered into arrangements with its creditors to refinance the existing debt and provide additional working capital facilities for its subsidiaries including a Kenyan entity.
- Financing to Liquid Telecommunications Holdings Limited and its subsidiaries including Liquid Telecommunications Kenya Limited by aggregate facilities up to the aggregate of USD 60,000,000 and ZAR 1,625,304,500 provided by SBSA, Standard Chartered Bank (Mauritius), Standard Finance (the Isle of Man) and JPMorgan Chase Bank, N.A., London Branch (as Original Lenders).
- Branch International Limited a mobile based lending platform with respect to receivable financing arranged by Pacific Financing LLC and its affiliates.
- Confidential clients on the regulation of virtual currencies, virtual currency exchanges and digital tokens.
- Vocalink on the legal and regulatory environment applicable to its business as a payments network operator across various jurisdictions in Africa.
- PayPal Private Limited on the legal and regulatory environment applicable to certain of its services in Kenya.
- A confidential client in relation to an extensive regulatory review on the regulation of crypto wallets, cryptocurrencies and crypto securities in Kenya.
- Branch International Limited, a mobile based lending platform, on the data protection regulation with respect to its credit provisions services through a mobile application as well as the proposed regulation of digital lenders.
- Uber East Africa Limited a technology company which offers a platform to facilitate a rideshare service on the draft National Payments System Bill, 2019 in Uganda.
- Port Management Limited group, a leading logistics and freight group of company, on the data protection regulation including undertaking a data compliance audit and preparing a data protection policy.
- Sunculture Kenya Limited with respect to the terms and conditions for the sale of solar agricultural equipment on credit with payments to be made through a mobile payments platform.
- Sunlight Payments Inc, a USA based entity, on development of its digital payments platform to manage disbursement of foreign donor funds to intended beneficiaries in Kenya.
- Mastercard International Inc. on the regulation of various payment products and services in Kenya.
- Visa Inc. on the regulation of various payment products and services in Kenya.
Publications & Insights
- Kenya: The High Court upholds wide interpretation of Payment Service Providers
- Kenya: DCP Regulations to apply to non-deposit-taking microfinance institutions
- Kenya: Regulation of Digital Lenders in Kenya
- Kenya: Regulation of Digital Lenders
- Lexology: Getting the deal through – Fintech 2022: Kenyan Chapter
- Regulation of digital lenders
- The Central Bank Of Kenya (Amendment) Bill, 2020