Clement MkivaPartner and Team Leader
- Publications & Insights
Clement Mkiva is a partner and team leader in our Johannesburg office Dispute Resolution Department.
He specialises in all areas of dispute resolution, including local and transnational litigation, private arbitration and mediation. His expertise extend to contractual disputes, judicial reviews, damages claims, class actions, shareholder disputes, interdicts/injunction applications, banking and funding disputes, cross-border securities fraud, insolvency, evictions, construction disputes, defamation claims, employee benefits, property related disputes and mining litigation.
Clement has successfully assisted clients in various fields, including mining houses, banks, telecommunications companies, fund managers, pharmaceutical companies, provident funds, product manufacturers, health services companies, constitutional entities, municipal entities and parastatals.
He has an LLB from the Nelson Mandela Metropolitan University as well as a Masters in International Dispute Settlement, a joint LLM program of the University of Geneva and the Graduate Institute of International and Development Studies. During his studies in Switzerland he received specialised training in international commercial and investment arbitration.
- Represented one of the defendants in the largest class action claim brought in South African history.
- Represented a London/Johannesburg dual-listed coal mining house in a number of large commercial disputes.
- Representing a large broadcaster in private arbitration proceedings held under the auspices of the International Chamber of Commerce (ICC).
- Represented the settling mining companies in the silicosis and tuberculosis class action settlement.
- Representing a constitutional entity in various litigation proceedings, including judicial review proceedings and interdict applications.
- Representing a pharmaceutical product manufacturer and a financial institution in separate transnational dispute resolution proceedings.
- Represented a listed gold mining house in a dispute relating to lifetime funding of the medical aid requirements of its employees.
- Clement has been recognised by Who’s Who Legal as a Litigation Future Leader in the Partners category for several years.