- Publications & Insights
Cathy Truter is the Head of Bowmans Group Knowledge function, managing a team with a particular focus on Asset Development and Automation, Knowledge Centre and eResource Management, Technical Legal Training, Thought Leadership and Current Awareness, Legal Service Improvement and Design Thinking, and Client Value Added Services.
With a passion for maximizing efficiencies and creating value for clients, she was most recently involved in a collaborative process mapping and design thinking initiative that led to the proof of concept and roll-out of machine learning document review technologies, automation, transaction management software and eSignature technology across the Group.
Before stepping into this role, she was a partner in the firm’s Corporate Department and a member of the Mergers and Acquisitions Practice, focusing primarily on mergers and acquisitions, capital market transactions and general corporate law, advising on public and private transactions, broad-based black economic empowerment transactions, restructurings, due diligence investigations and South African company law with extensive experience managing cross-border African and international transactions. She also lived and worked in New York at Sullivan & Cromwell LLP in the project finance space.
She particularly enjoys working closely with her colleagues across the Bowmans offices in Kenya, South Africa, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia and with other best friend law firms internationally.
She has a BSc from the University of Pretoria, an LLB from the University of the Witwatersrand and has successfully completed the Leading Professional Services Firms Programme run by Saïd Business School at the University of Oxford, United Kingdom.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: Corporate Law Update for January 2024 published
- South Africa: Positive developments on proposed amendments to the Companies Act
- South Africa: Amendments to the Companies Act
- South Africa: Corporate Law Update – July 2023
- South Africa: Approved amendments and further proposed amendments to the JSE Listings Requirements and the JSE Debt Listings Requirements as at June 2023
- South Africa: Proposed Companies Act amendment of ‘Beneficial Interest’ disclosure requirements
- South Africa: Technology-enabled M&A transactions – the material benefits
- COVID-19: impact on businesses and investments in South Africa
- COVID-19: Regulations in terms of the South African Disaster Management Act
- The Companies Amendment Bill, 2018: first draft for public comment
- Bowmans among the first in Africa’s legal market to invest in artificial intelligence