- Publications & Insights
Catherine is an associate in our Dar es Salaam office. She specializes in tax and corporate matters. She also works on various projects in the mining, oil and gas, and the banking sector.
Catherine has a Masters in Arts and Revenue Law and Administration, Post-Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law School of Tanzania and a Bachelor of Laws (LLB) from the University of Dar es Salaam.
- Advising and representing brewery and beverage companies in their transfer pricing and value added tax (VAT) disputes with the Tanzania Revenue Authority (TRA)
- Advising and representing the leading tobacco and tea companies in Tanzania in their transfer pricing disputes with the TRA.
- Advising telecommunication companies in Tanzania in its transfer pricing transactions and other related tax matters such as value added tax, charitable status, and withholding tax.
- Advising and representing mining, oil and gas exploration companies in tax disputes with the TRA.
- Advising and representing tourist companies and hotels in their tax disputes with the TRA.
- Advising and representing prominent banks in Tanzania in their tax disputes related to bad debts, impairment provisions, interest in suspense and chargeability of VAT on various bank fees and commissions.
- Drafting pleadings and submissions for filing at the Tax Revenue Appeals Board and Tax Revenue Appeals Tribunal, and the Court of Appeal.
- Engaged in settlement negotiations of tax disputes with the TRA.
- Preparing memorandum and records of appeal to be lodged at the Court of Appeal.
- Providing legal opinions on transactional tax matters, tax administration and compliance.
- Undertaking legal due diligence on companies and preparing reports.
- Advising companies on new legislation and recommending compliance measures in line with the current legal developments.
- Reviewing commercial agreements and advising on potential tax exposures and recommend course of action.