Bonnie Steyn is a partner in our Cape Town office Dispute Resolution Department.
Bonnie specialises in litigation and dispute resolution with particular emphasis on medical law and malpractice, professional indemnity insurance and personal injury.Bonnie has represented major hospital groups in inquest proceedings; defended medical professionals and hospitals in civil claims; assisted insurers with preliminary investigations; defended insureds in civil claims on behalf of insurers; and instituted subrogated recovery actions. Her expertise extends to advising leading insurance companies on policy response, interpretation and wording.
She has B.Com and LLB degrees from Stellenbosch University and a Certificate in Medicine and Law (cum laude) from the University of South Africa. She is also an admitted attorney, notary and conveyancer.
Her experience includes:
Medical malpractice litigation
- Representing the major hospital groups/networks in inquest proceedings;
- Defending medical professionals and hospitals in civil claims;
- Drafting responses on behalf of medical practitioners for filing with the HPCSA
- Assisting insurers with preliminary investigations (fire claims, personal injury and public liability claims, professional indemnity claims etc.);
- Defending insureds in civil claims, on behalf of insurers, including the drafting of merits and quantum opinions
- Drafting policy response opinions