Allen Leuta is a partner in the Banking and Finance Deparment of our Johannesburg office and a member of our Finance Practice.
Allen has significant experience on project development and financing transactions acting for lenders (including development finance institutions and export credit agencies) and developers across a wide range of sectors in Africa.
Allen contributed to a PPA handbook “Understanding Power Purchase Agreements”, as part of a group of international experts brought together by the U.S Department of Commerce’s Commercial Law Development Program in partnership with ALSF. Published in November 2014, the handbook provides an overview of PPAs and the obligations, risks and remedies that are found within them. The group of experts, all whom contributed their time on a pro-bono basis, also included contributors from governments, development banks and private banks including AfDB, the World Bank, OPIC and AFC.
Allen has an LLM from Harvard Law School and LLB (with distinction) and BA (with distinction) degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand. Allen was a Fulbright Scholar and a recipient of the Harvard South Africa Fellowship.
- A club of development finance institutions including International Finance Corporation, African Development Bank and European Investment Bank on a limited recourse facility to finance the construction of a cement plant in Derba, Ethiopia.
- A developer on the development, financing and construction of a health care facility in Soweto, South Africa.
- A multilateral lender on the proposed development of a geothermal power project in Menengai, Kenya.
- A potential bidder in connection with the acquisition of an equity interest in a thermal power plant in Kayes, Mali.
- Gemcorp Capital LLP on a loan to Caldera Energy Holdings to finance the construction of a modular oil refinery in Liberia.
- Gemcorp Capital LLP on the development, financing and construction of the Cabinda Oil Refinery in Cabinda Province, Angola.
- Nedbank on a proposed limited recourse facility for Sefateng Chrome Valley Development Proprietary Limited.
- Pan African Infrastructure Development Fund 2 in relation to the proposed financing and development of a 37km rail link in the Waterberg region in South Africa.
- Revego on its portfolio acquisitions of equity interests in operating renewable energy projects developed under the Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Programme implemented by the South African government.
- Stanbic Bank IBTC on a limited recourse credit facility from a syndicate of commercial lenders including Standard Bank for Golden Sugar Company, Nigeria.
- Standard Bank and IFC on the refinancing of the limited recourse facilities for the Gulf Energy Thermal Station developed by Gulf Energy Consortium in Kenya.
- Standard Bank as mandated lead arranger on the financing of the Wesley wind farm project being developed by Innowind (a preferred bidder in Round 4 of the South African Renewable Energy Independent Power Producer Procurement Programme).
- Standard Bank as mandated lead arranger, on the financing of the development, construction, operation and maintenance of Burgan Cape Terminal bulk fuel storage facility in Cape Town, South Africa.
- Standard Bank on a USD 40 million ECA backed facility for RRL Grinrod to finance the supply of ore wagons to AML.
- Standard Bank on a USD 90 million loan facility for African Minerals Limited to finance the purchase and supply of ore wagons and other mining equipment for the Tonkolili Iron Ore project in Sierra Leone.
- Standard Bank on a bridge facility for Puma Energy for the financing of the construction of an oil products storage facility in Beira, Mozambique.
- Standard Bank on a limited recourse credit facility for Ndola Lime Company Limited, Zambia to support the development and modernisation of its production facilities.
- Standard Bank on a limited recourse facility for Maputo Ports Dredging Company (EDPM) to finance the dredging of the Maputo Port.
- Standard Bank on its participation in a USD 261 million Export Credit Insurance Corporation of South Africa backed facility for Eurochem from syndicate of commercial lenders to finance the construction of a mine.
- Absa Bank Limited in connection with a standby letter of credit facility provided to ARM-Harith Infrastructure Fund (International) Limited to support its equity contribution obligations relating to the Cenpower projectKpone IPP in Ghana.
- Absa Bank Limited in connection with a standby letter of credit facility provided to Pan African Infrastructure Development Fund 2 SA to support its equity contribution obligations relating to the Cenpower projectKpone IPP in Ghana.
- Absa Bank Limited on an asset backed facility for Thelo Rolling Stock.
- Azuri Group on receivables backed facilities for the Azuri Kenya and Azuri Zambia operations.
- JBIC on a credit facility for the capital expenditure program of Transnet.
- CfC Stanbic Bank Limited on a loan facility for from Agence Francaise de Developpement to finance renewable power projects in Kenya.
- Stanbic Bank Ghana Limited on a guarantee facility for Jakobsen Electro.
- Stanbic Bank Ghana Limited on an unsecured loan facility for Ghana Grid Company Limited.
- Stanbic Bank IBTC on the restructuring of certain credit facilities for Lonestar Drilling Nigeria Limited.
- Standard Bank on a corporate facility for LSP Holdings, Lesotho.
- Standard Bank on a proposed green loan facility for Natref.
- Standard Bank on an ICBC Bank guaranteed revolving credit facility for Ruashi Mining SPRL.
- Standard Bank on its USD 100 million loan facility from a group of European development finance institutions led by Deutsche Investitions-und Entwicklungsgesellschaft mbH.
- Standard Bank on the restructuring of limited recourse credit facilities for the Monticello Hotel and Casino in Mostazal, Chile.
- Standard Chartered Bank, Societe Generale and Citi as arrangers and lenders on a sovereign loan to the Republic of Senegal.
- Standard Chartered Bank, Société Générale and Citibank as mandated lead arrangers on a EUR 200 million syndicated bridge loan facility to the Government of the Republic of Senegal.
- The Republic of South Africa on its COVID related emergency relief facilities from New Development Bank, African Development Bank and World Bank.
- Central Energy Fund, a state owned entity on certain procurement compliance matters relating to its subsidiaries.
- Gibela Consortium on certain procurement compliance matters relating to the supply of rolling stock to PRASA.
- IFC on a proposed infrastructure linked note issue for Ekurhuleni Municipality.
- IFC on a COVID related restructuring for AgriCi, Ivory Coast.
- PIC on its acquisition of an equity interest in Aradei Capital, Morocco.
* experience gained prior to joining Bowmans