- Publications & Insights
Adam is a partner in our Dispute Resolution Department and a member of the Litigation Practice.
He is a board member of the Arbitration Foundation of South Africa. Adam is a Centre for Effective Dispute Resolution (CEDER UK) accredited mediator, as well as a Commissioner of the Small Claims Court.
Adam specialises in dispute resolution and leads a large team of litigation lawyers with varying degrees of experience and expertise. His expertise extends from banking and corporate litigation to insurance, mining, construction, contractual and general litigation disputes. He has been involved in significant commercial disputes, including litigious insurance cases which have involved many of the large insurance houses.
In addition to his technical legal skills, Adam’s strengths involve the mitigation of litigation risk, which enables him to provide strategic dispute advice with particular focus on dispute system design.
He has a BA and LLB degree from the University of the Witwatersrand.
- Successfully defended a non-profit sports club against historical land access claims brought in the High Court, and on appeal to the Supreme Court of Appeal, arising out of alleged servitudinal and other access rights.
- Successfully defended a JSE-listed mining house in international arbitration proceedings initiated against it in respect of a contractual claim in excess of USD8 million brought by a former employee and executive in the International Chamber of Commerce’s International Court of Arbitration.
- Advised the local subsidiary of a multinational beverage manufacturer and brewer in litigation in a ZAR325 million enrichment action brought against the South African Revenue Service arising out of the mischaracterisation of tariff headings applied to Client’s products in terms of the Customs and Excise Act.
- Advised a multi-national corporation in its challenge to the constitutionality and legality of various Regulations implemented by the South African Government as part of its regulatory response to the COVID-19 pandemic in South Africa.
- Advised a voluntary association in several disputes of rights (mainly contractual) in respect of its property and wildlife developments, which are located on land that has been formally restituted by the South African Government to original beneficiaries in terms of the Restitution of Land Rights Act.
- Acting for a South African company listed on the London Stock Exchange in defending an urgent application brought to enforce a large service orientated contract;
- Acting for a major financial institution in negotiating a settlement of a dispute with the Central Securities Depository;
- Acting for shareholders in the forced removal of a director and chief executive officer of an entity listed on the Johannesburg Stock Exchange;
- Acting for a registered entity in its application to the National Consumer Tribunal to set aside a compliance notice issued against it by the National Consumer Commission in relation to auctions; and
- Acting for the defendant in the largest class action claim brought in South African history.