- Publications & Insights
Ronald Kalema is a partner in the Corporate Department of our Kampala office and a member of the Tax practice.
He has twelve years of high-level tax advisory and litigation experience, having held senior and managerial positions at both KPMG and Ernst & Young.
Ronald has advised major Ugandan and multinational companies across various sectors on issues ranging from tax dispute resolution and tax audit support to tax restructuring, customs planning, international tax, transfer pricing, tax policy and the tax implications of private equity transactions and mergers and acquisitions. Notably, he has extensive experience in assisting clients whose tax disputes have reached the Tax Appeals Tribunal.
In addition to an LLM in International Taxation from the New York University School of Law, Ronald has a Post Graduate Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre where he won the Uganda Law Society prize for academic excellence ,and an LLB from Makerere University, where he graduated among the top 5% in his year.
He is a member of the East African Law Society and the Uganda Law Society where he is actively involved with the tax cluster. He has successfully led discussions with the Parliamentary Public Finance Committee on adoption of key tax amendments for Uganda.
Having led tax and legal teams at two of the big four international auditing firms in Uganda, Ronald has extensive experience in tax advisory, planning and dispute resolution including the following:
- Successfully represented the Applicant in Enviroserv vs Uganda Revenue Authority in a dispute concerning refund claims
- Successfully represented a major foot wear importer against Uganda Revenue Authority in a land mark dispute involving treatment of royalty payments to related parties for purposes of customs valuation
- Provided tax advice to Sanlam General Insurance on its acquisition of Lion Assurance in Uganda
- Advised a major diary processing group on the tax considerations or their restructuring plan
- Support to local and multinational clients undergoing routine tax audits as well as tax investigations by the Revenue Authority
- Provision of tax health check services to both local and multinational clients across all tax heads, including Corporation Tax, Value Added Tax, and stamp duty customs compliance