Mieke KrynauwConsultant (Strategic Advisor)
- Publications & Insights
Mieke Krynauw is a consultant (strategic advisor) in our Dispute Resolution Department and a member of our Corporate Investigations Practice. Mieke advises on interactions with the South African government.
Prior to rejoining Bowmans, Mieke worked in the Private Office of President Ramaphosa alongside his advisory team as a legal researcher. During her time at Bowmans, Mieke was a senior associate in the Mergers & Acquisition practice. She previously lectured jurisprudence at Wits Law School and has experience in constitutional law, having clerked for the late Justice Skweyiya during his tenure on the bench at the South African Constitutional Court.
Mieke has a BSocSci in Philosophy, Politics and Economics, an LLB from the University of Cape Town and an LLM from New York University. She is also an accredited Commercial Mediator and has a Negotiation and Mediation: Deals and Disputes Certificate Course from the University of the Witswatersrand.
Mieke is a trustee on the Streetlight Schools Board of Trustees and the Black Sash Board of Trustees.
- The conceptualisation and initiation of a project to undertake a legal audit of all litigation against the State for the Office of the President (OP)
- Being a member of the State Litigation Coordination Forum
- Drafting Terms of Reference for this Forum
- Working in partnership with Special Investigating Unit (SIU) on corruption in medico-legal litigation.
- Conducting research on legal, social, economic, political and related matters, providing both quick reference and in-depth research for President Ramaphosa and his legal advisor, Adv Nokukhanya Jele
- Co-facilitating Gold Mining Working Group in relation to Silicosis Class Action
- Chairing the legal sub-committee of Gold Mining Working Group.
- Conducting settlement negotiations and drafting settlement-related agreements in the aforementioned class action.
- Engaging with government officials in relation to the integration of occupational lung diseases compensation systems.
Awarded annual ‘Brand Values’ award (2014)