- Publications & Insights
Drawing on his diverse experience and expertise across a broad range of practice areas, Michael is able to adapt to and assist clients in a variety of industries across the public and private sectors. He has a deep understanding of the evolving and complex legal challenges posed by emerging technologies (including artificial intelligence (AI)) and consistently goes the extra mile to develop innovative and forward-thinking solutions for clients that tackle these challenges with confidence. His expertise extends to navigating the complex landscape of public law. In particular, Michael specialises in education law and has established himself as a published author and a respected authority in the field.
Michael’s dynamic, inclusive and proactive management approach to client projects is focused on building strong, collaborative relationships with clients, ensuring that their needs are understood and met promptly and effectively. Balancing expertise, professionalism and a genuine dedication to the interests of clients, Michael is trusted to diligently and consistently deliver exceptional legal support that is practical, implementable and tailored to the unique needs of each client.
Michael’s key focus areas include technology, intellectual property, telecommunications, education and public procurement transactions and clients in the technology, consumer goods, financial services, education and public sectors.
- Bachelor of Laws, University of Cape Town
- Masters of Law in Information Technology Law, University of Edinburgh
- Admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Publications & insights
- Oxford South African Dictionary of School Terminology (Oxford University Press Southern Africa, 2018)
Jurisdictions worked in: South Africa, United Kingdom
Recently Michael has advised:
- Various stakeholders on the regulation of AI systems, including the use of AI systems within data ecosystems and the regulation of generative AI tools within the workplace;
- A global biotechnology leader, BioNTech SE, on the South African component of its acquisition of additional shares in InstaDeep Limited, a world-renowned leader in the field of AI and machine learning;
- A leading technology-focused provider of growth capital, Sumeru Equity Partners, on the South African component of its strategic investment in Zappi, a global consumer insights platform provider for creators;
- One of the world’s fastest-growing online education network providers on its acquisition of a global e-learning design firm based in South Africa;
- A cutting-edge, cross-jurisdictional e-commerce platform provider on its contractual arrangements with corporate sellers required for the roll-out of its innovative e-commerce marketplace designed for business-to-business trade across Africa; and
- Various leading organisations in the education sector on projects ranging from innovating within the financial model applicable to public and independent schools to reviewing school governance and management measures and ensuring compliance of online schooling models with South African law.