- Publications & Insights
Lebohang Mabidikane is a partner in our Johannesburg office Corporate Department and is a member of our Competition Practice.
Prior to joining Bowmans, Lebohang was head of the Competition Commission South Africa’s Mergers and Acquisitions Division as well as its Cartels Division. She was also a member of the Competition Commission’s highest decision-making structures, including its executive committee and has represented the Commission at various panels of the International Competition Network.
Lebohang is an expert in competition matters involving various sectors including the aviation, petroleum, mining, fast moving consumer goods, banking and retail sectors. She also has extensive experience in conducting competition law audits, investigating cartel and abuse of dominance cases, and leading competition law search and seizure operations in various industries where cartel conduct was being investigated. She has been involved in providing training and insight to other African competition regulators and has also provided input on the competition law legislative framework and enforcement of competition law in these countries. She is a member of the Executive Committee of the Association of Competition Law Practitioners in South Africa and in this capacity, has made submissions on draft competition law policy documents published by the South African competition authorities as well as various African countries. Her expertise extend to public and municipal finance management and she has advised various state owned entities and litigated on behalf of municipalities.
- The Competition Commission’s prohibition of the proposed acquisition of Safair Operations (Pty) Ltd by SA Airlink (Pty) Ltd
- The Competition Commission’s investigation into the operational agreements between South African Airways SOC Limited, South African Express Airways SOC Ltd and SA Airlink (Pty) Ltd
- The Competition Commission’s investigation of certain arrangements between Emirates Airlines and travel agents in respect of flight ticket sales
- the Sibanye Gold Limited’s acquisition of Lonmin PLC;
- both the Off The Shelf Investment (56) (Pty) Ltd’s (OTS) and Glencore South Africa Oil Investments (Pty) Ltd’s (Glencore) acquisitions of the Chevron South Africa business;
- Bayer Aktiengesellschaft’s acquisition of Monsanto Corporation;
- all the merger notifications emanating from General Motors’ exit from South Africa;
- Discovery Bank’s acquisition of the First Rand Discovery branded credit card business;
- K2018262882 (South Africa) (Pty) Ltd’s (NewCo) acquisition of TYME Digital Bank (Tyme Bank); and
- various transactions involving the Public Investment Corporation (PIC), and many others.
* experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Co-Authored Thomson Reuters Practical Law Cartel Leniency Global Guide South Africa South Africa Cartel Leniency Global Guidelines Edition 19/20 published in February 2020
- Authored the Competition Law Section of the Acting in Concert and Collaborative Shareholder Engagement, South Africa commission and published by Principles for Responsible Investment (PRI) Published in February 2020
- Authored 2 News Flashes on Zimbabwean and Namibian Competition Law Developments in September and October 2020
- Elected to the Association of Competition Law Practitioners Executive Committee in July 2020
- One of the South African mentors in the W@Competition Mentoring Programme, an international Competition Law mentorship programme initiated in Brussels, Belgium.
- Nominated for the ‘40 in their 40s’ Notable Women Competition Professionals in Africa” in 2019, however she could not proceed with this nomination because she only turned 40 in June 2020.
Publications & Insights
- South Africa: Guidelines on small merger notification
- Feedback from Bowmans’ 10th African Competition Law Conference
- Namibia: Namibian Competition Commission prohibits cement merger
- Zimbabwe – developments in merger control
- Excessive pricing in South Africa in the age of COVID-19
- Thomson Reuters Practical Law Cartel Leniency Global Guide South Africa, 2020