- Publications & Insights
Kayla specialises in commercial intellectual property and technology law. Kayla predominantly advises clients operating or looking to operate in South Africa but has experience in advising clients operating in other African jurisdictions.
She has a solution-focused and practical approach to providing advice. Additionally, she has significant drafting experience, notable organizational skills and excels at driving initiatives to improve learning, knowledge management and business development aimed at ensuring clients receive value.
She has advised clients on a host of different commercial arrangements, including software development and licensing, outsourcing services, information technology services, software and platform licensing and fibre-builds. She enjoys reviewing, drafting and negotiating technology-related contracts, including, e-commerce platform, software development, payment solutions, software-as-a-service and transitional services agreements. Having advised service providers and customers on various transactions, she is able to assist on either end of a transaction, which allows her to advise clients from a strategic legal perspective.
These days, she is upskilling herself in respect of the General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) and Artificial Intelligence so that she is able to provide future-focused advice to local and international clients taking technology to the next level.
- Bachelor of Arts, Stellenbosch University
- Bachelor of Laws, Stellenbosch University
- Admitted attorney of the High Court of South Africa
Recently Kayla has advised:
- Financial Investments SPC from an information technology perspective in relation to its purchase (by way of a South African incorporated subsidiary, Bachique 842 Proprietary Limited) of 100% of the shares in each of four information businesses, namely Hoonar Tekwurks Consulting South Africa Proprietary Limited, Managed Integrity Evaluation Proprietary Limited, Xpert Decision Systems Proprietary Limited and Zenaptix Proprietary Limited from EOH Mthombo Proprietary Limited.
- Motsepe Foundation Trust in respect of a collaboration agreement with Athletics South Africa NPC in relation to the organisation and execution of the Race to Equality running event for 2022.
- MTN (Dubai) Limited in relation to the sale of 50% of the issued shares held in aYo Holdings Limited (aYo) to Sanlam Emerging Markets Proprietary Limited (Sanlam) and the subscription by MTN and Sanlam for further shares in the aYo. In particular, she assisted with the drafting of the intellectual property licences for trademarks and systems for the purpose of marketing, distributing and (where applicable) administering products.
- AlexForbes in relation to the negotiation of an agreement relating to its sponsorship of the AlexForbes Archangel yacht and crew for the Cape2Rio Race 2023.
- Clients generally by undertaking due diligence, including vendor due diligence, investigations on and advising in relation to the transactional documents relating to intellectual property, technology and commercial matters generally.