Ian Sinton is a Consultant in the Dispute Resolution Department and a member of the Corporate Investigations Practice.
After being admitted as an attorney of the High Court of South Africa in 1983, Ian practiced as an attorney specialising in Corporate, Commercial, Financial services, Construction and Property law.
In 2002 Ian left private practice to join Standard Bank Group Limited as Head of Legal for its Corporate and Investment Banking division and soon rose to be Group General Counsel where he was responsible for providing legal, commercial and risk-based advice to the boards of directors, executive committees and senior executives of all companies and divisions within the Standard Bank group, accountable for approximately 260 dedicated lawyers responsible for mitigating legal risk within all the jurisdictions where the Standard Bank group has a presence. He also served as a member of various governance committees (credit, new products, structured transactions, sanctions and anti-money laundering), served as Chair of all Client Risk Committees within the Standard Bank Group and represented Standard Bank Group as a director of various companies in which Standard Bank Group had an interest.
Ian has a Bachelor of Laws degree and Bachelor of Commerce degree from the University of the Witwatersrand.
*experience gained prior to joining Bowmans
- Persuaded the South African Reserve Bank to adjust its capital reserving requirements for derivatives based on an analysis of the legal effects of netting versus set-off.*
- Lead engagements with the Competition Commission’s Inquiry into Competition in Banking in South Africa.*
- Represented the Banking Association in persuading Parliament to introduce section 35B of the Insolvency Act to facilitate derivatives trading in South Africa.*
- Negotiated the acquisition and later disposal of interests in multiple banks in Africa, South America, Eastern Europe and Asia.*
- Negotiated and oversaw the implementation of the largest investment by a Chinese investor outside of China.*
- Negotiated and oversaw the implementation of the first ever Deferred Prosecution Agreement to be entered into by the Serious Fraud Office and approved by the Crown Court in the United Kingdom.*
- Lead all engagements with, and gave evidence before, the Judicial Commission of Inquiry into corruption in the public sector in South Africa.*