- Publications & Insights
Deon has a wealth of legal knowledge and experience which he uses to solve his clients’ problems. His clients return to him again and again for his solution-driven and pragmatic approach and his ability to provide advice across a broad spectrum of matters.
He has worked in the Cape Town market for more than 30 years and is well known by business leaders for his ability to brainstorm problems and provide solutions. Because he has practiced extensively in the areas of Litigation, Banking & Finance and both Private and Public M&A, he is able to bring a uniquely multidimensional perspective to bear on client’s problems, often leading to more innovative solutions.
As the Co-Head of the firm’s Corporate Department, Deon directs a diverse team of lawyers, with whom he collaborates to ensure that his clients receive expert and tailor-made advice.
- BA (with Distinction), Stellenbosch University.
- LLB (with Distinction), University of Cape Town.
- Leading Professional Service Firms course, Harvard Business School.
- Admitted Attorney of the High Court of South Africa.
Jurisdictions worked in: South Africa
Deon has recently advised:
- Old Mutual:
- on its proposed ZAR 2.8 billion Broad-Based Black Economic Empowerment (BEE) ownership transaction, resulting in an approximate 4% increase in the Black shareholding in Old Mutual, where he acted as a core team-member.
- in relation to the much-publicised termination of employment of Peter Moyo as Group CEO, and related matters.
- on the restructuring of all Responsible Business Entities in the Old Mutual Group.
- in relation to its dispute with Business Doctor Consortium in relation to Old Mutual Finance and related issues.
- by way of numerous opinions on complex legal issues.
- First Energy Group in relation to various aspects of its Renewable Energy Investments, the resolution of various local and international disputes and opinions on various legal issues.
- A local private equity fund in relation to its investment into a retail cash management and payment solutions provider and various other investments and initiatives.
- Rovic and Leers Group in relation to various commercial transactions.
- Trevo Capital Limited, listed in Mauritius, in relation to all aspects of the recovery of its losses from Steinhoff.
- Seven senior executives of Pepkor Limited in relation to all aspects of the recovery of their respective losses from Steinhoff.