David Anderson is a partner in our Johannesburg office Corporate department.
His broad experience covers corporate finance, public mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures, IPOs, demergers, private acquisitions and disposals, private equity transactions and banking law. He acts for a number of South African and international companies and banks in relation to a full range of corporate law matters.
David managed Bowmans’ London office for a period of 10 years and has extensive experience of working on cross-border transactions.
He has BA and LLB degrees from the University of the Witwatersrand and is qualified as an attorney in South Africa and as a solicitor in England and Wales.
David has recently advised:
- Shanduka Group and certain of its shareholders including Standard Bank and Cyril Ramaphosa in relation to merger with Pembani Group (deal size ZAR 15 billion).
- Bayport in relation to its partial merger with Transaction Capital (listed on the JSE) (deal size ZAR 1.5 billion).
- Teraco Data Environments as well as all of its shareholders, including the International Finance Corporation in relation to the sale of Teraco to Pemira (deal size ZAR 1 billion plus).
- Easigas in relation to its merger with Reatile (deal size ZAR 1 billion plus).
- China International Marine Containers (PRC) on the acquisition of certain South African assets and the establishment of its South African operations.
- Shanduka Telecommunications in relation to the sale of its stake in MTN Nigeria to Heritage Capital and the PIC (deal size ZAR 3 billion).
- Kores in relation to the acquisition of certain South African coal assets (deal size undisclosed).
- Syntell and its shareholders in relation to a transaction with Hosken Consolidated Investments (deal size undisclosed).
- Syntell and its shareholders in relation to a transaction with EOH (deal size undisclosed).
- Investec Asset Management, Sanlam and Nedbank in relation to the restructuring of notes issued by a leading South African retailer (deal size ZAR 750 million plus).
- Cell C in relation to a significant debt restructuring and fresh equity subscription (deal size ZAR 25 billion plus).
- Cell C in relation to a number of M&A transactions (deal sizes undisclosed).
- Chambers and Partners consistently ranked David in Band 5 for Corporate / M&A for the past three consecutive years (2019 to 2021).
- IFLR1000’s Financial and Corporate Guide consistently rated David as a Notable Practitioner for the past four consecutive years (2018 to 2021).
- Recognised by Best Lawyers 2017 for Mergers and Acquisitions Law.
- David has been recognised as a Leading Lawyer in the IFLR1000 and Legal500 publications.
‘David Anderson is a well-recognised lawyer with a practice covering various corporate transactional matters, as well as joint ventures. He notably advised Cell C on a restructuring of its debt and equity. – Chambers and Partners 2020
‘Sources praise David Anderson for his transactional capability, describing him as an “excellent lawyer technically.” He advises on various corporate matters, including M&A and restructuring, and has experience acting on cross-border mandates. – Chambers and Partners 2019